Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CornRoadInver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 141 of 219

Re: BT home hub 5 wifi keeps dropping

@licquorice wrote:

Interesting, I've had a TP Link TD-W9980 for over a year and it runs hardly warm to the touch and no problems with wifi.

It was fine for a few days but then it started to experience problems. It was pretty loaded three wired connections and about 5 wireless connections. There was posts on the TP link and other forums about overheat. Shame because as you say it worked brilliantly if only briefly. Perhaps I just had a bad one.

0 Ratings
CornRoadInver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 142 of 219

gg30340 wrote:

Check that the Wireless card drivers are up to date. Use the card manufatures web site to check because often the Windows ones are out of date.

Some devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the connection on your laptop and then restart the laptop and log onto both the SSids if the laptop can use both frequencies. Not all devices can use 5GHz. You will need to log on any other devices to both SSids if they can use both.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

If all else fails consider a wireless dongle for the laptop. 

Thanks for the help, have tried all of those fixes and still dropping every 10 minutes or so. Tried changing power to alway on as well. Funny thing is it worked quite happily for over a year until about two weeks ago. As advised I'll try an external dongle or I'll swap the card from an old laptop and see what happens. 

0 Ratings
marco63
Contributor
Message 143 of 219

I also have the Wifi dropout problem. I have split 2.4 and 5ghz parts, turned off smart setup etc etc. Makes no difference. HH3 worked fine. I looked into every possible error that could be down to the Windows 7 laptop (which always worked fine before this router) I have tried every possible suggested setting for the HH5. It's the router. What can we do about it?

0 Ratings
CornRoadInver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 144 of 219

@CornRoadInver wrote:

Thanks for the help, have tried all of those fixes and still dropping every 10 minutes or so. Tried changing power to alway on as well. Funny thing is it worked quite happily for over a year until about two weeks ago. As advised I'll try an external dongle or I'll swap the card from an old laptop and see what happens. 

just an update from me to say that i've manged to resolvethe issue. i replaced the internal wifi card for a new one as i thought it may be faulty. the replacement did exactly the same. however i had liked for liked with a Broadcom card. after trying various drivers old and new for the card i then tried an old wifi card out of an old laptop, an Intel this time, and it worked just perfect. i then bought an Intel 7650 card with duel signal and plugged it in this weekend and it is working perfectly. seems that the HH5 doesnt like Broadcom wireless cards any more!

0 Ratings
andygreen15
Beginner
Message 145 of 219

I'm also experiencing drops outs all the time since start/middle of 2015.

very annoying, almost back to dial up days it feels like.

I will try one of the old hubs to see if that works ok.

Has BT Confirmed anything at all reference new firmware at all?

0 Ratings
ICHAPMAN
Beginner
Message 146 of 219

So, had another "session" with BT this evening.   They disagree there is anything wrong with the router, as there diagnostics say no fault it present.   However, it would seem in reality is would seem that they are running circuit diagnositics to identify the problem....

End result was that they want to send out an Openreach engineer so that they can check cabling, circuit etc - again despite my protests that there is nothing wrong with the Openreach side of the system.

They will not / can not / are not willing to just send out a replacement HomeHub to remove this having a potential fault.  Instead they feel / believe that if this was fault then the wireless would not work at all.

They got excited that I had more than 5 devices (regardless of connection type or band) connected to the device.

Frustrating....

Is the TP-LINK replacement a almost a gurantee resolution?.   I mean for those of you that have had this issue has the TP-LINK resolve it without doubt?

Thanks

Iain

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 147 of 219

TP Link wireless works for me.

0 Ratings
DougC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 148 of 219

I've just read through (most of) this thread. I may be having the same problem, but had been looking at it from a different direction if you like. See my other post re "Belkin wemo switch interferes with HH5 wifi". Many of the reported symptoms sounded very similar.

My HH5 had been good as gold and wifi was stable since many many months. I presume I have taken the supposedly suspect firmware during that time.

Then I installed a wireless device (the wemo switch in this case). This was working just fine using the 2.4GHz wifi until I located it pretty close to the HH5.

What I then found was:

2.4GHz wireless would drop out (all my other devices see no signal at all) after several hours. Disabling and re-enabling 2.4GHz on the HH5 did not restore service. Rebooting the HH5 seemed to be the only way out.

Using wireless channel 11 (instead of channel 1) seemed to extend the time for the fault to appear to a few days.

I have now discovered that a less brutal recovery action is to just change the wireless channel when the fault occurs.

My supposition, which could easily be tested by some of you guys, is that having one of your wireless devices very close to the HH5 could be setting up some interference that eventually makes the HH5 give up.

0 Ratings
Macstabz
Contributor
Message 149 of 219

Despite having had a HH5 for almost a year now I have been using the HH3 with seperate fibre modem. This was because initially parental control ground the network to a halt and nothing could get it working on the net again (or so it would seem).

Fast forward 10 months, the HH3 now no longer allows netflix to connect or stream on my samsung TV, and so I reluctantly put in the HH5 which fixes the issue. However I now have random points where despite the HH5 showing a clear connection tot he net no wireless device can load anything. Everything times out. The first time this happened I also tested on my PC which I use for gaming etc. This PC is hard wired and it too would not load anything no more.

It again happened at 23:59 last night after 40gb downstream and 5gb upstream, and again this morning at around 9am with  just 50mb up and 3gb down, so its completely random. Nothing would load over wifi on any device (And we have 2x ipad mini, ipad air 2, galaxy S4, Macbook Pro, a PC with a wireless dongle, samsung TV, NowTV gen 1 box and a NowTV gen 2 box).

Luckily I could still log into the router via wireless from my ipad though, so the issue is NOT my wifi (on all but 1 occassions I could log in to the admin side via wifi still), but something to do between my router and the net it would appear.

I have 5Ghz turned off as this causes issues with my Ipads and Macbook devices for some weird reason and only use 2.4 Ghz on Channel 6 as this has always been and proven to be the most stable for me (never used anything else since about 2004 ish).

My only resolve was to reboot the router which cannot be good for my overall line speed I imagine as I am sure that in the end the BT equipment will think I cannot handle the speed and start turning it down.

How on earth do I fix this as it is beginning to get irritating fast. My HH3 used to be as solid as a rock until netflix stopped working on the TV and if it wasnt for this I would still be using it. Ive had the HH5 in place for less than a week and already having issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
NoobFirstClass
Contributor
Message 150 of 219

I'm having Similar issues with the 5ghz channel slowing down to ~30mb/s until I change the channel and then it's back up to full speed again. I've already separated the 2.4 and 5ghz channels which made no difference & tried fixed channels etc over the past month and nothing helps, it must be a firmware bug.. So frustrating..

0 Ratings