Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 181 of 219

Re: BT home hub 5 wifi keeps dropping

there a many post about requesting a specific hub5 but it is pure pot luck - BT don't supply a specific 5A or B

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 182 of 219

I agree, it was 6th time lucky for me to get a type b and seems to have solved my problem (which was resetting the vdsl line every day or so)
0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 183 of 219

Ah interesting... I have just been promised a replacement with a similar issue. I have a Mod.A. I'm sure it's type specific, but have no idea of the replacement will be A or B then? Shame. I guess if it doesn't work I'll be on to them again.

0 Ratings
Willstar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 184 of 219

... I have trouble with the 2.4GHz band as well... I wonder if BT will ever fix this?

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 185 of 219

@searing your problem summary is interesting as it's pretty much identical to my experience. I too found 2.4 disappearing. 5 would remain. I also have a sonos network on 2.4, plus 2 zigbee networks, and a variety of other networks around.

Multiple resets didn't help, nor did splitting the ssid.

I went through pain trying to convince BT. They sent a HH4 (useless) despite me having a HH5 on record. They asked for config details, but I'm still waiting for a reply (it takes 1-2 weeks each ping-pong). During this period I bought a TPLink VR900 as I was fed up. Though that worked fine for wifi it had a number of other deficiencies - in various areas being less good than the HH5+HG612 combo so I returned it.

As part of that test though I completely shift things around - reconnected all cables/devices.. reconfigured IPs on some.. made sure all devices that could used 5Ghz, did another reset.. I may too have changed sonos wifi channels... and since doing that - rock solid for about 10 days (since I plugged it in). I'm quite astounded...

Still on the older 204 sw, but again not using the modem (the HH5a is poor)

Do do I know what's going on ... no not really!

0 Ratings
Helva
Aspiring Contributor
Message 186 of 219

At last I have bitten the bullet and had my local expert to provide me with an Asus modem router. All is now vg. He has many problems with BT Home Hub and Infinity and is sure it is the v poor quality of the antenna in the Hub. I have written to the BT CEO saying he must instruct his minions to read these post. Fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
tally100
Contributor
Message 187 of 219

Same here had wifi issues since firmware upgrade. Only thing they wanted to do was sell me another hh5, i'm either going to buy a different router or wait until the hh6 comes out 

0 Ratings
rcgl2
Message 188 of 219

Got BT Infinity 2 with Home Hub 5 (Type A) at the end of April. Wifi connection was fine for a couple of weeks, and then one day dropped on my wife's iPhone 5S. From then on, wifi has constantly dropped and devices are unable to obtain an IP address for a period of time. Just thought I'd give a run down of my circumstances in case anyone has any suggestions.

Devices:

HTC One M8 Android

iPhone 5S

iPhone 6 (work phone)

HP Pavilion laptop

Devolo dLAN 500 AV Plus power line adapter with Wireless+ wifi transmitter upstairs (3 storey house)

Sky+ HD box, Sony bravia and a blu ray player (all wired ethernet connections)

Wife's iPhone 5S originally seemed to be the first device to lose connection, after which my Android would then start struggling. In particular problems seemed to arise when she took it upstairs, away from the HH5 in the living room. 

Things I have tried to solve it:

- reset HH5, hard reset HH5 several times

- disabled Smart Set Up

- disconnected dLAN power line adapter

- changed SSID for 5GHz to be different from 2.4GHz

- disabled 5Ghz wireless

- re-connected dLAN adapter and moved Wireless+ transmitter to middle floor of house

None of these steps worked except the final one, which seems to have solved the problem for the wife's phone. The SSID on the Wireless+ adapter is the same as the SSID of the HH5 (which was how it was previously set up with Sky broadband without any connection problems at all).

However, with this set up, my Android HTC has had some connection problems, again when I move away from the room where the HH5 is. 

The problem seems to be in obtaining IP addresses from the router, the phone gets stuck trying to obtain an IP address.

Having read this thread and various others about the HH5 wifi problems, it seems that this could be one of or a combination of various potential problems: certain devices not handling the dual band wifi, particularly iPhone 5 (however disabling 5Ghz should have solved this); generally faulty hardware in the HH5, maybe the antenna; the firmware has some sort of glitch in it which seems to be affecting the HH5 type A...

I don't really have the time or knowledge to get into the more technical aspects such as DHCP protocols, assigning static IP addresses etc - and frankly, why should I have to? The HH5 is marketed as the most sophisticated and reliable modem/routers available from a major ISP. It should be able to work properly as standard with a fairly standard domestic set up. 

I am also now aware from these threads that if I phone BT, I will just spend hours on the phone to a call centre worker with a script, who will make me go through all the steps I have already tried, and at best, they may eventually send me a replacement HH5 (which is likely to be another Type A and will doubtless develop the same problems after a week).

I'm probably going to just buy a TPLink VR900 or similar and cut out the HH5 completely. However, in the meantime, I would be interested to hear any thoughts or advice anyone has based on my set of facts would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Ev_Sol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 189 of 219

I wish I'd found this thread about a year ago...!

Doesn't sound like there is a resolution forthcoming from BT but just adding myself to the list of people with the problem.

I think I've now tried all of the solutions posted on this forum but within 24 hours (at most) the 2.4G wifi drops off leaving the 5G live but needing a HH5 reboot to get everything working.  I had thought that the problem was related to something on the network causing interferance and upsetting the HH5 into shutting down it's wifi.  Over the last year I've been picking on the various things on my home network, a number of which have now been replaced without making a difference, so this has already been an expensive exercise!  My prime suspect was an Apple TV as it seemed the HH5 would experience the issue consistantly when the AppleTV was connected - however since removing it altogether I've found the network still fails.

So, now to log it with BT, although I think I know the answer, which is frustrating as I just renewed my contract for another 12 months!!

For reference I have Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) / BT Hub 5A

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 190 of 219

If you are still using a Homehub 5 you haven't tried all the solutions posted on this forum. The solution that works is to get a decent third party VDSL Modem/router and see how far you can throw the HH5.

0 Ratings