cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 171 of 219

Re: BT home hub 5 wifi keeps dropping

loyalty counts for very little when it comes to renewing contracts and applies to all ISPs who give best deals to new customers not renewal of existing customers  this is nothing new and happens all the time

if you want best deals then move ISP everytime your contract is due for renewal - if you can stand all the hassle and stress

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
seeleytony
Beginner
Message 172 of 219

I have been running BT homehub 5 wi-fi without a problem in 2 homes for more than a year - then just in the last couple of days one has started to disconnect & shutdown every few minutes - I googled & discovered that many of you have the same problem - I keep turning off the smart set up off (it comes back on each time the WiFi disconnects & restarts) & have separated the networks with no improvement.

I am going to contact India for some technical advise when I have a few hours to spare.  As a short term WiFi fix could I use a redundant home hub 4?'

Just wanted to update the forum as I managed to get a happy ending through BT.

I took my perfectly running homehub 5(from the 2nd home) and substituted it for the malfunctioning one - Hey Presto - it works fine!!

Armed with this information I phoned India - told them my problem and explained that I subbed the failing hub for the working one & the sub worked fine.

India weren't interested and insisted on going through a very long script that lasted an hour+ & it didn't remedy the problem.

Baffled India said he would phone the next day - things then were substantially the same - I stopped him in his tracks and told him again that the problem had been solved by subbing the home hub 5 - at which point he sat up and made an appointment for an engineer to attend.

A few days later the engineer arrived - checked everything to do with the broadband was ok, renewed all the connections but unfortunately problem remained. He didn't have a home hub 5 but his mate who was passing had one.  New home hub 5 fitted which has restored my service to working order!!! 

0 Ratings
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 173 of 219

Check which versions of the hh5 you have.

After year of problems (and 5 substitute HH5s!!!, all version As) I finally got them to give me a version B and hey presto not a problem since. I think that the addition of G.INP on their network equipment may have made things worse with the Version As.

Would be worth giving that a try (if you can persuade them.
0 Ratings
rbz5416
Contributor
Message 174 of 219

Just wanted to post my experience with HH5 WiFi & see if it matches anyone elses. I will read back through the thread when I have time.

I moved from another ISP to BT in January. I already had FTTC & an Openreach "modem" connected to a Netgear router & all was good. Come migration day I reconfigured the Netgear & again, all was good. After a week or so I was tempted to try the HH5 to reduce the box count. I set unique SSIDs for 2.4 & 5GHz & manually set the channels using InSSIDer.

All was good for around three days when the connection speed of my 5GHz connected laptop dropped from the rock solid 37Mb to a fluctuating 0-5Mb. Upload was also severely reduced. Connecting by 2.4GHz was much better & ethernet was fine, so it looked like a WiFi problem. Ran InSSIDer on my phone & got similar results, so it looked like the 5GHz radio in the HH5 was playing up. Did a soft reset on the router & all was good again for another couple of days when the same sympton occurred. Again a simple soft reset fixed it. This pattern repeated several more times so I switched back to the Openreach/Netgear combo. All was good.

So being confident that my troubleshooting had identified a faulty 5GHz radio in the HH5, I set about getting a replacement. I won't bore you with the pain that was the scripted call as I'm sure you've all been there & got the T-shirt. I eventually secured a replacement HH5 that arrived on Wednesday. So I plugged it in & tried to restore the config I'd saved from the other but got an invalid file message. This made me grumpy but I gritted my teeth & reconfigured manually. Maybe config files can only be restored to the same router they were created from?

But I digress. Two day later & exactly the same symptoms appear. Extremely slow 5GHz connection on all WiFi connected devices, much better on 2.4GHz & full speed on ethernet. Soft reset fixes it. I've double-checked the channels with InSSIDer & tried alternatives anyway.

It seems highly unlikey that two routers would have exactly the same fault unless it's an inherrant problem in the firmware. Both were Type B & this one is running v0.07.05.0A13-BT, which apparently was installed last night.

So has anyone else seen this behaviour?

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 175 of 219

yes i have seen that since latest software up date on hub b.

Distinguished Sage
Message 176 of 219

I have run v0.07.05.0A13-BT on a hub 5B since last October with no issues at all

and yes config files can only be restored on the same hub
rbz5416
Contributor
Message 177 of 219

Now seen the same issue of 5GHz WiFi dying on three HH5s. Guess it's time to buy a proper router. Shame as when it works, it works well but can't be doing with having to reboot the thing every couple of days.

0 Ratings
colmar
Message 178 of 219

Ok, sadly the improvement didn't last. So far the problem appears to be on the 5GHz only. 2.4GHz is robust so far.

On the 5GHz WIFI, it keeps dropping connection and then failing to assign IP address.

This despite ensuring good signal strength.

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 179 of 219

well your lucky then john 46,so you have no problems in hub manager with items displaying on connected devices?

0 Ratings
searing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 180 of 219

My firmware-updated BT Home Hub 5 type A keeps dropping WiFi - the SSID becomes invisible until the wifi is disabled/reenabled (via ethernet connection) or the hub is rebooted. I use a mix of 2.4 and 5Ghz devices - and Sonos. Using only 2.4GHz improved matters but some devices could still trigger the general loss (HP PC or iPad/iPhone possibly). Splitting or syncing the 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs seemed to make little difference.

I have an older type A hub which was not updated - one 1Gb port had stopped working. I managed to get a new hub when I started a new contract, so that one had become shelfware was not connected so did not get automatically updated.

I'm now using the old hub daisy-chained with the new one - the old one provides rock-steady wifi and the new one provides the ADSL connection and the ethernet connectivity. As the old hub is not connected via ADSL it is immune from the viral firmware update.

I am therefore 100% convinced that the firmware update is the cause of the wifi issue.

BT declined to replace my old hub when the port failed as according to their records I had a Hub 4 (I'd bought the Hub 5 externally to replace it). The fact that it was a labelled BT product made no difference. I got the new one from them when I upgraded. How do I get them to replace the new (BT provided) hub with a Type B? I don't wish to waste my time and endanger my blood pressure by working my way through the lacklustre support structure - I am an IT professional so don't need the endless scripted Q&A. What is the quickest way? I'd like to report/request in writing - but that is not a contact option...

0 Ratings