cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ev_Sol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 191 of 219

Re: BT home hub 5 wifi keeps dropping

Well, BT have now sent me another HH5 and my first observation is that, like the previous one, it is incorrectly recognising the MAC addresses of devices on the network.  Several of the devices are sharing the prefix of 54:b8:0a (which I believe is generally used by dlink products) rather than their correct ones. I have a dlink wireless extender but I've also replaced that :-).  Remains to be seen how quickly the wireless will fail.

Thought it worth trying as there must be thousands of people out there who don't have a problem... or maybe they just live with it...  Anyway, if nothing else BT have now given me a 2nd router to sell on ebay and fund the purchase of something decent!  

0 Ratings
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 192 of 219

Is it a Type A or Type B
0 Ratings
Ev_Sol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 193 of 219

Unfortunately another Type A.  Same software version.  I am awaiting the inevitable....

0 Ratings
Ev_Sol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 194 of 219

Well, it lasted 11 days without issue.. I got my hopes up... but it has needed a reboot half a dozen times in the last 3 days.  Time to go shopping!

0 Ratings
gary_crutchley
Beginner
Message 195 of 219

Hi all,

I have exactly the same issue, and I am now on my second HH5 with a third due for delivery to me this week.

I have three laptops that I use, all different makes and I experience the WiFi dropping out randomly on all of them. Two of the machines are less than a month old, one is a work's laptop that works faultlessly on our WiFi network in the office.

At home I get the issue on both the 2.4 and 5GHz channels (I split the channels on BT's recommendation.)

The first HH5 was a Series A, as is the one I have now and that which is on it's way to me. I don't expect that the third hub will be any different. I insisted that they send me a Series B, but they refused and they won't give me an HH6 either unless I pay £58! This is their issue not mine!

On Thursday I had a long conversation with BT support, they don't deny the issue but aren't willing to do anything practical to resolve it. If you Google the issue you will see it is well known and there are thousands of people if not more affected.

There is no doubt that the WiFi service on the HH5 is faulty, this situation is a total disgrace especially as BT just increased their charges yet again. They seem to be able to do that without any issues!

Regards,

Gary

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 196 of 219

There are thousands of people myself included who do not have any problem with the WiFi on the hh5a so it is not a general problem. If the post about the new hh6 is correct the wireless is supposed to be a lot better

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jpg1
Beginner
Message 197 of 219

imjolly - how much kit have you got connected by wifi? - I've got quite a lot - as well as three ethernet links, one of which is a powerline link with two downstream outlets connecting by wifi further downstream. In straight wifi terms I've got three more extenders hosting three tvs, two printers, two laptops, four tablets, and several smartphones, which makes BT's insistance that it is "my device" and not thehub that is at fault seem improbable to say the least. The pc that I'm using now is ethernet connected, but the printer next to it (Samsung 3400) is connected by wifi, on a static ip address. If I reach out my right hand I can touch the printer; if I reach out my left hand i can touch the hub. I do feel that the probability is that it's the hub that's dropping the wifi, not all these disparate devices coincidentally at the same time. I admit to being new to this level of problem, and I can't find any documentation to explain the entries in the event log, but I do observe that there is a continuos stream of device disconnections - thirty or so in a second - many devices repeated in the same series, and many of them not in the building (some not even in the country!) so not connected in the first place. Maybe the hub could cope with a smaller population?

0 Ratings
Venger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 198 of 219

Couldn't agree with you more just posted a message about the same problem. You are right they just pass the buck and you find yourself talking to people who seem to make it up as they go along. So much for upgrading to Infinity I didn't have these constant drop outs of wifi with Hub 4

0 Ratings
KieronRyan
Message 199 of 219

We all have the seame issues

BT HomeHub 5 is not compatible with infinity - BTs words.

You'll need to buy a 6 - that will be £50 please - else you'll have to find another provider

Interesting. Oh and we'll be charging you for early termination (even if our service is not fit for purpose) as we don't gaurentee anything.

Equally interesting why when BT "test" the line does the speed go from 24meg to 39meg.

BT the only infastructure company that doesn't want to install infastructure because its jolly inconvenient.

truly appalling service, another British company lining up to be bought by the chinese? I've no doubt the board will be amply rewarded.

0 Ratings
KieronRyan
Message 200 of 219

P.S. I've ordered a 6, lets see.

0 Ratings