cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 211 of 219

Re: BT home hub 5 wifi keeps dropping

A brief perusal of the forum would reveal that the new Smart hub is even worse than the HH5.

0 Ratings
jazzguy
Aspiring Expert
Message 212 of 219

@itsecman

When I switched from ADSL to fibre, I used the HH5b. While I found the down stream speed good, the wi-fi was poor compared to my 3rd party ADSL router. After lots of argument with BT, who disclaimed disingenuously any responsibility for the wi-fi performance of their routers I was sent a HH6 (so-called Smart Hub). 

I find the HH6 wi-fi to be much better than the HH5 (and on a par with a number of 3rd party routers I tried). The downside is that DHCP does not work properly so I have assigned a number of IP addresses manually on various devices to get around this problem. The other issue with the HH6, as you will see from reading the pages of this forum, is that some units are quite unreliable. Many have wi-fi problems.

So I would try the HH6  - and insist on one for free - but hold on to your HH5.     

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 213 of 219

Just to mention that I have been having very similar problems with two HH3s (one replaced by the other and just as bad), which I have now ditched and replaced with a TP-Link all-in-one fibre router which seems fine.

My thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Strange-problem-with-wifi/td-p/1659839 refers

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 214 of 219

Not just the WiFi.

My laptop, connected through the 1Gb ethernet, also keeps reporting that the internet is not connected.

I never had these problems with my HH3 and seperate modem.  I "upgraded" on moving to Infinity 2 to get the increased upload speeds (which are great) but the regular drop offs are irritating.

A call to BT took an hour and identified a problem "at the centre" which involved my line being "reset".  I was promised a call back whcih happened but the "lady" who called back merely insisted I reset my router, and that all my problems would be solved now that I had disabled smart setup.  She refused to listen.  A week on and the disconnections still happen.

I refuse to pay to get a HH6.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 215 of 219

Fellwalker wrote:I never had these problems with my HH3 and seperate modem.

You might have found that the HH3 would have run into trouble lately.  I used one for 5 years and then the WiFi went pear shaped.  A replacement HH3 was just as bad, so it looks like a firmware update did for it.

0 Ratings
Message 216 of 219

I had the same issue and found a fix that has worked perfectly on Gizmodo. The link below is to the original article by Aatif Sulleyman on 31 Mar 2016. The main instructions are copied and pasted below for easy reference.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/03/bt-home-hub-5-tips-tricks-settings/

"The BT Home Hub 5 is a dualband router, which means that there are two wireless frequencies for your devices to connect to: 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Unfortunately, some gadgets can struggle to remain connected to both at the same time, which can result in intermittent connectivity or slow performance. In this case, it may be best to split out the two networks and create different network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. Here’s how you do it:

• Open your web browser on a device connected to the Hub and go to bthomehub.home, or visit http://192.168.1.254. This will open the Hub Manager
  • Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
  • Continue to Advanced Settings
  • Tap on Wireless
  • Hit 5GHz
  • Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No
  • Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
  • Save the changes

Two BT Home Hub SSIDs will soon appear in the list of networks on your device, which will automatically connect to the 2.4GHz frequency. If you have existing dual band devices you want to connect to 5GHz only, you'll need to hook them up to the 5GHz SSID that you've renamed."

Note, you will need to go through the same process everytime you switch off/unplug your router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 217 of 219

The "fix" you found is on the BT Help pages and has been offered on this forum since the Homehub 4.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

0 Ratings
funkyjunky
Contributor
Message 218 of 219

And he really doesn't understand networking. Devices don't/can't connect to both frequencies at the same time so that isn't the cause of the problem.

Unfortunately, some gadgets can struggle to remain connected to both at the same time,

0 Ratings
Toppergas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 219 of 219

I upgraded to HH6 a couple of weeks ago and have no problems with drop outs since upgrading, I'm also sending this email connected to my laptop at the far end of my house, something I could never hope to achive with the previous HH5. So far the HH^ has been faultless.

0 Ratings