Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claydon12
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

BT home hub 6 issues

Go to solution

Hi I 

I have a Smart hub and over the last few months I have been experiencing the following problems some of my wifi devices dissapear from the net work ,these includes wifi light switches and amazon devices,I also find that the cotiunous uplload from my camera to cloud storage fails ,eventually all devices stop working.This can be put right by rebootimg the  hub sometimes it takes quit a while to be up and running again. I have had r repalcement hub supplied by BT but the problem keeps returning at random intetvals,Ihave spoke to Bt about this and they could not help they did suggest that I have 2 many devices connected to the hub I have 22 wireless devices and 14 wired devices,this is not good as it all was working without fault for around 6 months.I have tried changing channels .

My hub is running firmware version SG4B1000B540 download speed 80 mbps and 20 up 

• All I want is a stable solution so any  ideas would be welcome

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT home hub 6 issues

Go to solution

If there is no noise on your phone line and Ethernet connections are fine, then first try a factory reset of the home hub,

It could be a faulty home hub, but what you describe seems fairly common with the home hubs and lots of devices, especially the new smart devices.

A better suggestion which seems to cure the problem, is to use a different router which does not suffer from some of the legacy issues that the home hubs do.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less, has sorted the problem for everyone with the same problem, and I am confident it will sort your problem out, a family member has 32 devices connected, with no problems at all.

Here is one thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HELP-HH6-blue-light-but-no-internet/m-p/1887178...

And https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Faulty-smarthub-6-wired-and-WiFi-problems/m-p/1...

Full details here TP-Link TD-W9970 - a replacement for the home hub

If you need any help, please ask.

0 Ratings
claydon12
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi thanks for the reply as I am going to buy a router perhaps I could sort out the other problems that I have  they are  when the homehub crashes my wifi light switces can not contact the dhcp servrer so they flash if the lights are on also as i have media server if the hub crashes i can not contact my server for the same reason so would a modem and a seperate router be better.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

The choice of standalone modems is very small but there is a wide range of combined VDSL modem/routers.

Your problems are router related in any case so not sure what advantage separate units would have to resolve them.

0 Ratings
claydon12
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
I thought that if the bt connection was lost my internal net work goes down as well ,but if I had separates my internal network would be not be affected.
Does the TP link TD w9970 have the ability to handle large numbers of connections devices within the home and outside the home or do I need to get something else
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@claydon12 wrote:
I thought that if the bt connection was lost my internal net work goes down as well ,but if I had separates my internal network would be not be affected.
Does the TP link TD w9970 have the ability to handle large numbers of connections devices within the home and outside the home or do I need to get something else

Yes, my daughter has 32 devices connected at her house, on that TP Link router. The DHCP table allocates IP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199, and you can allocate static IP addresses outside of that range if you want.

Its the DCHP server that is the problem on the home hub, as it fails to issue the default gateway and DNS details, resulting in loss of connectivity, once the lease time expires. There are a few other issues as well.

Outside of the house depends on wireless propagation, but mine covers all of our house and garden, and most of next door (separate building) who connect to the guest network provided by the TP Link.

I only use one of my TP Link LAN ports, which is connecte to a 8 port 1GB managed switch, which deals with all of the Ethernet connected devices including a NAS,  BT YouView, LG TV, webserver, desktop computer, network monitor and a couple of other occasional devices.

For the price, its worth a try, as I am sure you should have no issues.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@claydon12 wrote:

Your internal network is independant of the BT connection whether you use separate devices or combined modem/router

0 Ratings
claydon12
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
When the bt hub crashes my internal network is unreachable as the dhcp server on router is not available.
0 Ratings
claydon12
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
I am almost sold on this but am a bit concerned that it may struggle with the amount of devices connected ,currently there are 36 devices connected and I plan to ad a few more, I would be prepared to spend a bit more to ensure success
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@claydon12 wrote:
I am almost sold on this but am a bit concerned that it may struggle with the amount of devices connected ,currently there are 36 devices connected and I plan to ad a few more, I would be prepared to spend a bit more to ensure success

Spending more is not going to alter the number of devices that can physically connect, as that is determined by the size of the internal software routing table.

The TP link  could, in theory, handle 251 simultaneous connections, ie. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.253.

The DHCP table covers 199 simultaneous connections, but in practice, you are never going to have that many devices connected all at once. When a device is disconnected for longer than the DHCP lease time, the IP address is re-allocated.

Look at the specification page https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

You have full control of QOS and bandwidth to each device if needed, and also access and parental controls if needed.