Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT home hub wireless interface

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has the answer to this one, be good if they do...

With the older homehubs 3&4, in the router manager, in the wireless settings..

There is a Wireless interface setting, designed for compatibility, without putting all the 802.x garb, it looks like it limits the interface to either 300, 144 or 54MB/s in both 2.4 and 5GHz frequency..

Am I right, that it limits the speed to that mentioned, for any wireless device connected to it? So, if I set it to its most compatible setting, that the router will be limited to 54MB/s via WiFi? (Both 2.4 and 5g would be set to the same)

If so, and with regards now, to a home hub 6 (Smart hub gen1).

The interface settings do not display speed in the hub 6, but instead only 3 choices for compatibility are mentioned, if I pick the most compatible setting, will it too be limited to 54MB/s ?

If you want my reasoning I will explain, I just really want to know which outputs the least bandwidth!

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT home hub wireless interface

This mode allows you to tune your wireless features to give you the best performance with all your wireless devices.Your BT Smart Hub is automatically set to Mode 1

Mode 1 - Gives you the fullest featured Wireless, maximising throughput and range.

Mode 2: Some devices can sometimes struggle to use the latest Wireless features, if you have any devices that can't get a good wireless connection, try using this mode. Selecting this mode may reduce the wireless range and throughput but improve connectivity.

Mode 3: Change to this mode if your wireless devices don't perform well using mode 1 or 2. Selecting this mode will reduce the latest features as well as wireless range and throughput compared to Mode 1 and 2. This will allow for the broadest range of devices to operate on the wireless.
The features that are reduced include: power saving procedures, traffic aggregation methods and Multiple Concurrent data streams.

0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi there Liquorice,

Thanks so much for the reply..

I am already aware of the official narrative.

Thanks again anyway for that.

What I want to know is....

Is the wireless interface of the homehub 6(smarthub gen1) the same as that of the 3&4 with respect to speed limitations.

The problem is, that in their attempts to make everything nice and easy for the 'general' consumer, BT seemingly have left those of us who have a more advanced level of tech knowledge, wandering in the dark, so to speak.

All I want to know is, by selecting one of the options labeled Mode 1, 2 or 3, will I be able to limit the bandwidth of the smart hub, similarly to those choices present in the hub 3&4?

Those choices available via the afore mentioned hubs 3&4 enabled speed limitations of 300, 144 and 54 MB/s at the interface.

Do the 3 modes of a homehub6 do the same?

Thank you so much for your time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Why not just try it and see?

0 Ratings
GamingPc321
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks again...

However until the upgrade begins, we still don't achieve more than the bottom figure anyway. So sadly I can't just now, but if the smarthub 2 arrives today  edit. It just did! 😂  and the speed goes up tomorrow as it is meant to be upgraded tomorrow. Then I will start testing then.

Thanks then.

0 Ratings