cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daly
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

BT hub 6 - devices keep dropping out of connection.

Go to solution

Is anyone having a similar problem and can you advise. My BT hub 6 had really good connection but the last week all devices keep dropping off WiFi and I can no longer connect my sky q mini as wont find the IP address. BT won’t do anything as their tests show broadband working ok on router and sky can’t find anything wrong at their end 

my channels are set up as smart to go to channel that is most effective at that point . WiFi banding shows strong yet keeps dropping off all my devices 

I had a firmware update in January but only just seeming problems now 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
TimGriff6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT hub 6 - devices keep dropping out of connection.

Go to solution

I have the same problem.  I got two smarthubs a while back (long boring story about BT incompetence) and the first one started doing this regularly about 8 months ago so I swapped it for the second one which worked fine but has now started doing the same thing.

Phones & tablets can be re-connected but often need you to be standing by the router and sometimes we have to go throught the forget the connection, scan, choose and enter password process to connect.  When the TV does it, the process is longer because we can't easily drag the TV over to the router and it's a cursor keyboard!

When I put this hub in, I split the 2.4 & 5GHz channels so each device can be directly connected to the appropriate one.

BT tell me that they have done a remote check and there is nothing wrong with the hub (but they reset my broadband line anyway after I had been in touch with them).  I have been looking for ways to get the hub fixed or replaced but without luck.

0 Ratings
Daly
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks yes Iv had no joy with BT they tell me the terms and conditions don’t guarantee Wifi and on their tests the hub looks fine so they won’t do anything. Doesn’t make any sense everything was absolutely fine and having problems now with all devices. I have a complaint in with bt now but they are taking their time to respond . I have fibre direct to the home so would have thought connection was loads better but I’m no expert
0 Ratings
TimGriff6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

'They don't guarantee wifi'?  I hadn't seen that mentioned in their tv adverts for the smarthub - they seem to be all about good wifi being the reason to have a smarthub.

Have you found a way of getting the smarthub replaced by them?  I must be stupid because I can find no way of returning faulty equipment without talking to them and talking to them just gets this sort of daft statement - no guarantee indeed!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

no ISP guarantees the wifi as it is subject to interference from within your home and from outside

if you are using the hh6 and split the 2.4/5ghz networks and also selected channels manually have you also tried changing the wireless mode from default 1 to either 2 or 3?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TimGriff6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Changing mode has a noticeable effect on range - even the repeater which normally cycles between too close & ok actually loses the signal.   Because of this it is difficult to identify whether there is a more consistent connection.  The devices that I am using cover a wide range of types and operating systems and therefore connection modes but they all are subject to the intermittent drop out so I would guess that the mode choice is not the source of the problem.  On the old hub I tried selecting channels manually but it didn't seem to work and going back to default was a hassle so I haven't done that on this hub.

0 Ratings
TimGriff6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I think that the problem I see is that it has worked fine for 6 months but then has started playing up.  It could be the firmware update that triggered it but I think that it was working fine for a month after that was carried out.

I don't think that I can set an alarm/warning to tell me that an update has taken place but:

Does the update involve a reset?

and

is it worth doing a manual reset after I realise that there has been an update?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

the update would normally cause a reset but it may well be worth doing a factory reset using the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash just in case some update didn't quite complete

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Have you had any joy yet? Is your hub working ok now? MInes finally driven me to purchase a tp link so I'll see how that one goes once I've received it and figured out how to set it up. I've never had anything other than a BT hub before so I'm somewhat apprehensive about my skill in setting it up properly. This Hub 6 was working fine for a few months and since the January update it's been a pile of doodah 

0 Ratings
Daly
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution
Hi I actually finally sorted it tonight

I’ve had two sky engineers out and they still couldn’t sort it. Bt asked me to do some resetttibg at fibre box as I’m fibre direct to the home and still nothing. Sky booked us into hard wire the sky q mini and then eventually bt agreed to send a new hub even though all their tests showed the hub was fine. Hey presto new hub in and all ok again (fingers crossed) obviously a problem with the output of the box which bt can’t check. Iv not had chance to go back to them yet but don’t worry I will be. Sky have been brilliant spent 8 hours here in total yet until my complaint couldn’t get an outcome bt wouldn’t even try to send me a new hub . Terrible service . Anyway hope u get sorted