Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT hub Switches and Networking

Go to solution

Hi

I have had an extension and had Cat5e cabling Installed to eventually cable up our smart TVs, laptops and games console in order to improve connection speeds. 
Using the BThh6, I would like to know the best way of connecting up my home network?

Should I have a smaller switch connected to each Ethernet port of the rear of the hub, or just one larger switch with 24 ports? 
I would like to eventually plug my NAS drive in, to be able to use on all laptops / pc’s in the house. 
Could someone please advise the best route to go, thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT hub Switches and Networking

Go to solution

You say you have had Ethernet cable installed into your extension but you have not said how cables you have run.

If it is only one cable, you would connect it to your BT Hub at one end, presumably in the main house, then at the other end you would connect to an Ethernet switch with enough ports depending on how many wired devices you have and run an Ethernet cable from the switch to each device. 

If however you have run multiple Ethernet you would be best to post how you have terminated them at both ends so that you can be given correct advice.

It might be easier if you post a diagram of your set up so far and what you hope to achieve.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi

Thank you for replying. I have 38 Cat5e cables, throughout the extension and the existing house, (we had an electrical re-wire so I took the chance to have them installed) Each room has a faceplate of 4 ports. I don’t intend using all 4 ports in every room for data, as I may use a couple of them for transmitting HD TV from Sky Box to TVs in other rooms. 

The cables terminate at the other end to a patch panel, installed in a built in cupboard where the phone line comes into and the BT hub lives. That way the hub is plugged straight into the phone socket and the hub can supply the patch panel accordingly, either via multiple switches or one larger switch?
Wanting to connect a NAS drive to the network, I didn’t know if that needs to come from the hub, or could be connected to a switch?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If all the cables terminate in one place it makes sense to just use one switch with sufficient ports. Basically just do whatever is physically the simplest, networking wise it doesn't make any difference if you use one large or several smaller switches.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I would go with one large switch which depending on your patch panel design could be incorporated above or below making the routing of your cables from switch to patch pretty short and direct minimising clutter. It would also save on multiple power supplies needing to be plugged in.

It shouldn't make any difference if you connect your NAS directly to the hub or from the switch. It will just be seen as another network device either way. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your advice

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you Distinguished Sage

I wasn’t sure if it’s better to use the multiple ports on the hub, or connect all the devices via a large switch to the one port 

Kind Regards

0 Ratings