cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hawkipa
Message 1 of 3

BT infinity 2 Fibre new customer

Hello,

First of all thanks for any help anyone can give me.     I moved from Sky standard broadband on Monday to BT Infinity 2 fibre broadband with a Home Hub 5 as I decided that, whilst Sky was fine, I really wanted superfast broadband.

With Sky I used to find that my ethernet connected speed was very similar to wireless speed at about 12-14mbps.

As my house is high and thin and very old I have two TP-LINK access points wired back to my router by ethernet on floors 2 & 3.   As a result I have three SSID's around my house; the router wifi & one for each TP-LINK access points.   At the top of the house you can't see the router on the network as I think the walls block it, hence the need for AP's.

Since I've had Infinity 2 unlimited I have had the usual setup issues, which hopefully I'm gradually resolving, but I'm noticing that the wireless speed is regularly between just 10-20mbps.  I have never seen it above 40mbps and that is rarely.  I have tried on my iphone testing the speed standing next to the router and it is regularly seems to be about 12mbps, which I find perplexing as I can't understand how it can be so bad right next to the router.

Having read about similar issues on the forums I have used the BT wholesale speed tester.    I can see that the ethernet linked speeds are down c75mbps, up c13-16mbps & ping c20-22.    Therefore the speed on a wired connection is fine.  I have also checked that the speed to each of the access points is similar ie the wired connections are really good and as should be.   The problem is the wireless network.

So finally, onto my question.    How can I get my wireless performance to improve?  I have had a look on InSSIDer and put both AP's onto fixed channels 6 & 9 as I read these are best and left the Home Hub 5 is left on smart wireless channel.   I'm pretty sure there is simple to this but I just can't see it.

Also, is there any kind of data or expectations on what wifi down/up speeds should be ie should I be expecting wifi speeds of 20-30mbps down or closer to 75mbps.  Im pretty sure a down speed of 10-20mbps is not perceived as acceptable?

Any help/thoughts will be really gratefully received.

Happy Easter all.

Paul

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT infinity 2 Fibre new customer

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also try separating the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

"

Devices where there are known to be problems include:

• Some Apple devices including iPhone 5 and Apple TV

• some Android smartphones

• Xbox<

"

0 Ratings
hawkipa
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT infinity 2 Fibre new customer

Thanks Keith.  Appreciate your help.  Will have a crack at those things over the coming days & report back if was successful.

Paul

0 Ratings