Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d1ps22
Beginner
Message 1 of 31

BT infinity wifi speed problems

Hi, 

I'm having problems with my wifi connection speed on my laptop.

I have 1 PC and 1 laptop connected to the wifi working fine with speeds around 35mb, I have a 75mb package so not great.

My other Laptop is painfully slow when on the wifi but works fine with Ethernet. I have tried changing the router settings channel range etc with no effect. 

I also changed my DNS to OpenDNS through IPv4 that has improved the speed of web pages loading slightly.

I have also tried using my PC wireless adapter on my laptop and it works like normal (35mb speed)

So I uninstalled my network driver but it made no difference. On the Hub manager - Network manager>Devices the connection speed comes as 7mb where as my PC is 65mb

I have no idea how to resolve this issue, does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2892731599.png

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: BT infinity wifi speed problems

Is your laptop capable of connecting to wireless "n" networks? It may only cope with wireless b/g.

If not, then that would explain the slow speed.

Your adapter must be wireless "n" capable, which is why you get a faster connection.

0 Ratings
d1ps22
Beginner
Message 3 of 31

Yes it is capable. Says 72mb under wifi status. I have also tried the other wifi interface type with no improvement
0 Ratings
d1ps22
Beginner
Message 4 of 31

I have looked through your site and nothing there applies to my situation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 31

If the external wireless adapter works, then it has to be an issue with the internal wireless card in the laptop.

If you look on the manufacturers website, there may be updated drivers, or it may simply be the case that the internal card cannot cope with the data throughput.

You may get other suggestions from forum members.

0 Ratings
Chriswooduk
Beginner
Message 6 of 31

Hi

Don't listen to the answers of having to change your wireless card in your laptop or having to use a wireless booster round the house. This is most likely not the case. The simple fact is, is that the BT routers are terrible! The wireless signal strength is shocking!
Easiest thing to do is to switch broadband supplier. Save money, as it will most likely be much cheaper, and your wireless signal will immediately be improved I can assure you of that. I've had a few broadband suppliers over the years and all routers have been in the same place, using same devices to connect etc. and BT in comparison is just a joke. You struggle to get a signal if you're upstairs whereas it would have been full signal with other routers.

I hope this has helped.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

@Chriswooduk wrote:
Hi

Don't listen to the answers of having to change your wireless card in your laptop or having to use a wireless booster round the house. This is most likely not the case. The simple fact is, is that the BT routers are terrible! The wireless signal strength is shocking!
Easiest thing to do is to switch broadband supplier. Save money, as it will most likely be much cheaper, and your wireless signal will immediately be improved I can assure you of that. I've had a few broadband suppliers over the years and all routers have been in the same place, using same devices to connect etc. and BT in comparison is just a joke. You struggle to get a signal if you're upstairs whereas it would have been full signal with other routers.

I hope this has helped.

While I agree that you should be supplied a decent router, would the easiest answer, if you are in a contract and don't want to change,not be to try the advice being offered and if that doesn't work then consider buying a decent router. They can be bought for not a lot of money and may go someway to stopping the stress some people seem to have over their connection.

0 Ratings
Chriswooduk
Beginner
Message 8 of 31

You're paying for a service. That surely includes being supplied with a decent enough router to provide that service, am I not correct?
Why, when paying money every month, should you then go out and have to buy another router?? That's ridiculous!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

there are many posts that show once drivers are updated the problems are resolved also many wireless adaptors /cards are not wireless n enabled and will not cope with the higher infinity speeds Fact !!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

You are right you are paying for a service, but according to you you are not being supplied a decent router, others would disagree and reckon the Homehub 4 is a decent router, so rather than being ridiculous I would see it as a way of sorting the problem rather than just moaning about it.

0 Ratings