cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 11

BT installing new cabinets

Where I live I used to be on Digital Region Network for my FTTC before moving back to BT in 2012 on their FTTC Infinity product.

I have now noticed that since the Digital Region closure BT have now installed a new PCP and Fibre cabinet in our street which. This means we now have in one location 4 BT cabinets.

ie it is BT FTTC, BT PCP, DR FTTC, BT PCP (new), BT FTTC (new)

Why would BT install new cabinets in this area and does it mean that users on the smaller original BT FTTC cabinet will be moved to the new larger cabinet they have recently installed and then they remove the smaller cabinet?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT installing new cabinets

additional cabinets are often installed once an existing cabinet is full
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

@john46 wrote:
additional cabinets are often installed once an existing cabinet is full

I would expect that of the FTTC cabinet but they have installed a new PCP cabinet as well and there's no increase in new property in the area.

So seems really odd that they install a new PCP and FTTC not even 100 yards away from the other PCP which has a BT and DR FTTC cabinet attached to it

There wasn't many users on the DR cabinet to warrant a new PCP and full size FTTC to be installed, especially when the DR cabinet is possibly going to be removed as the network closed down

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

A pcp could be up to approx 1000 customers however the maximum size fibre cab (dslam) is 288 customers.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

@Devon_Dave wrote:
A pcp could be up to approx 1000 customers however the maximum size fibre cab (dslam) is 288 customers.

But I can't understand why they have installed a new PCP as well when no increase in residents in the area and definitely not for where they have installed it

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

They might just be replacing the old copper PCP due to high fault volumes.... A PCP near me was replaced recently.....
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

@lines_man wrote:
They might just be replacing the old copper PCP due to high fault volumes.... A PCP near me was replaced recently.....

how far from the original PCP was the new one - also seems odd that they install so far from the original PCP and install new FTTC cabinet, just to move everyone across.

also had no information from BT that this will happen as surely would expect them to inform customers incase of issues arising.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

It was about 2 feet away fom it......

And they don't necessarily have to inform you about the work as it is possible to switch you over to the new cab before without disconnecting your service......
0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Out of interest what does it matter that Openreach are putting in a new cab?
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

it just seems odd that they are putting in new cabinets about 100 yards or so from the original cabinets and that one cabinet from another provider is being pulled down as that network closed - where they are putting the cabinets does not seem appropriate unless they wish to put users on long lines as there has been no recent delevopment in the area I live in.

If they are moving end-users from one cabinet to the newer cabinet and removing the other cabinets then i think they should inform people within the area that they could see distruption with their lines and may also see a performance decrease

0 Ratings