cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT main hub is far

Go to solution

Hi, We recently moved to new house and I have got a new BT Fibre 2 connection. I have noticed that my BT main hub is actually near the entrance and I am not comfortable keeping it there lying on the floor. 

So I bought a BT plug to RJ11 plug as shown in the image and connected them. And then I have connected BT broadband connection to one of the phone line which is present in the living room with the help of BT's DSL472. Internet works fine but has drastically reduced the speed. 

Download Speeds has reduced from 56mbps to 34mbps and upload speed from 18mbps to 1.5 mbps. 

Is it the problem with the inner wiring in the house or is it something I can work it out. Please help

Image1Image1

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT main hub is far

Go to solution

Remove the cable linking the 2 sockets, disconnect the 2 wires in terminals 2&5 of the faceplate and reconnect them to the data extension terminals.

Do you have more than one extension socket in the house?

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, I have couple more. This is where I have connected my BT router. 

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Do you use any of the extension sockets for telephony?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Nope. I dont have any telephone and I dont plan to use any telephone for these sockets in future

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

In that case you need to rewire everything so that there is only one pair of wires going from the master socket data extension terminals to terminals 2&5 in the extension socket where you wish to site the router and disconnect everything else. I can't advise exactly how to achieve that as it will depend entirely on how your sockets are interconnected and what cables go where.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I guess Blue pair is coming in which is connected to A B, and Blue white - orange - Blue is in 2-3-5. This is in the master socket. How do I go further? 

Sorry I am a bit noob here. trying to figure out things. IMG2.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

The first thing to ascertain is where the cable that is connected to terminals 2&5 goes to, whether it is to the extension you want the router at or another one.

If you remove the lower faceplate of the master rather than taking the whole socket off the wall, you should see the data extension terminals, move the wires from 2&5 to there using a proper tool rather than trying to wedge them in with a screwdriver.

dataext.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Yup it worked. Now I have replaced those wires. it works like smooth. 

0 Ratings