cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT modem (not router/hub) default password

Go to solution

There is a default username and password for the BT modem (not router/hub) using the PPPoE protocol. The username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com - I was wondering whether this is secure? I presume this is safe because the router is protected by a separate password. And if the modem were to be hacked, this would require a physical connection to the modem. If it is not safe, is there a way to change the default username/password?

Regards,

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: PPPoE

Go to solution

By the way, is it safe to use the default PPPoE username and password on the modem or should this be changed? It is probably safe to use the default credentials because a hack would require a physical connection to the modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT modem (not router/hub) default password

Go to solution

The username for your PPoE connection is the same as the millions of other BT users. It merely authenticates you are using BT. There is no password required although third party routers need one to be entered.

This is merely for your connection to the network, there is no way for a hacker to access your modem or router with this method of line authentication.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

The PPPoE username and password are generic to all BT customers and cannot be changed. Authentication is via the phone number or FTTP connection details.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Since the username and password is known and open, could this not be hacked?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I thought that this is the case because if this can be hacked, then the hacker would need to physically log into the modem with an Ethernet cable which obviously is not possible to do discretely - the hacker would have to come to your house.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@miahw wrote:

There is a default username and password for the BT modem (not router/hub) using the PPPoE protocol.

You do not access the BT modem using PPPoE, the modem accesses the BT BRAS using PPPoE with the generic credentials.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I have merged your posts onto one thread to avoid confusion and multiple replies.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@miahw wrote:

Since the username and password is known and open, could this not be hacked?

See message 7

0 Ratings