cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT-ready Flat

So I have signed up for BT Broadband and BT TV, apparently my new flat has everything ready so I don't need an engineer to come at all. I am supposed to set everything up myself. Does anyone know exactly how this works? I mean in terms of setting up the broadband, I am fine with the BT TV part.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT-ready Flat

@urbanlegend179 

Is it a new build flat? If it is, then it may already have fibre broadband with an Openreach modem fitted.

If not, it will just have a phone socket.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Yes, I can confirm it is a new build with fibre broadband, it has an openreach modem fitted. But what does this openreach modem actually mean and how do I go about connecting everything? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

You just connect the ONT LAN1 port to the BT hub WAN port and it is all ready to go.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I don't see any "modem" lying about, could it simply be a socket on the wall that acts as the ONT LAN1 port?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

The modem won't be 'laying about', it will be fixed to the wall and will have a fibre cable connected to it.

Are you sure you have full fibre and not just FTTC delivered to a normal phone socket?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Yes I signed up for Full Fibre 500. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

So I went to the flat today and I took a look at the openreach modem - turns out I have a Huawei 1-port modem. And there is already an ethernet cable inside Port 1. Looks like I will just have to get an engineer to come out to my flat and set me up. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Why do you need an engineer to connect an Ethernet cable?