Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
jlcsan
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT residential line and VoIP desk phone

Hi there,

I've looked through the posts in this forums and could find very little into about if this would work or not at all.
I have BT Infinity Fibre at home and was wondering why my desk VoIP phone is not working when I connect it to my router.
I am not using the BT Home Hub, but a NetGear D6400 Wireless Modem/Router instead and I plug my VoIP desk phone to one of the Router's Ethernet ports at the back, in the display of the phone I get the "No service" message...
I'm not sure if I am suppose to be to use my residential line with a desk VoIP phone, I called BT and they said I need a business line to do this, but wanted to double check if that was correct since I don't see the reason why a business line should be needed...
Thanks to all for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT residential line and VoIP desk phone

@jlcsan

If you look through the forum for VoIP or VOIP you will see another post about using a VoIP phone with Fibre on here. 

It's to do with the settings, not which service you have.

What make/model is the VoIP phone? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
jlcsan
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi there,

The phone is a Yealink SIP-T27G,

https://www.yealink.com/products_25.html

I've disabled the SIP-ALG option in the router options as well, but still "No Service" message.
I have hope though, if you say that the line is not at fault and I don't need to move it to a business one, which will be a nightmare since I got everything else with BT, like TV and SIM contracts...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jlcsan
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I can see the post has been moved to a different area of the forum...
Doesn anyone here have any info or help about this?
Many thanks in advance ๐Ÿ™‚

JL

0 Ratings
jlcsan
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Just a bit more info, after some time trying to configure a few things in the router,

Router is a NetGear D6400; VoIP phone is a YeaLink SIP-T27G
I disabled the ISP ALG option in the router
I forwarded ports 5060 - 6000 to the IP of the VoIP phone in my network
I enabled the QoS option in the router and put the policy for "IP Phones" at the top and with highest priority
I still have "No Service" in the phone's display, no incoming or outgoing calls

I'm starting to think that the BT sales person on the phone could be right in that I need a Business line to get this to work...?

0 Ratings