cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malacath
Expert
Message 1 of 6

BT's DNS server don't support ipv6?

I'm using a third party router and ipv6 works fine with it as long as I use openDNS or googleDNS.

Problem is that if I use the automatic DNS option to use the default BT DNS servers I only get 9/10 in the ipv6 test website test-ipv6.com. It says DNS servers don't support ipv6.

If I use openDNS I get 10/10.

Why don't the BT DNS servers support ipv6?

It seems odd that BT would support ipv6 on a network level but not support it in their DNS servers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT's DNS server don't support ipv6?

I wouldn't use an ISP DNS ever!

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 3 of 6

While I do agree with you because the BT DNS servers cause slow download speeds from the xbox live and PSN stores, there are times when I need to turn parental controls on and I can't do that unless I am using the BT DNS servers.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 6

If you use a good router you can specify black/white lists for each individual device thereby having complete control over who gets to go where.  It can be a little bit of work initially but you only need to do it once.

What router are you using?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Malacath
Expert
Message 5 of 6

It's a Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

It does have it's own parental control features but they caused problems that forced me to stop using them.

I can't quite remember what the problems were now although I think it was something to do with xbox live.

Anyway just been looking at the openDNS site. Turns out they have a parental controls feature themselves and I will just have to use those. Obviously wont be as good as a network level one as they could be bypassed but they'll have to do.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Network level parental controls can be bypassed quite simply just by using TorBrowser.  So simple that I don't know why people bother with them in the first place.

0 Ratings