Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 26

BT settings For ASUS DSL-AC68U

Go to solution

Good evening all 👋 BT Community,

My VDSL modem / router (the ASUS DSL-AC68U) came today, I need help from you lot to help me set-it-up please 🤗 Also it comes with AiProtection network security powered by Trend Micro (would it be worth it activating this on a third-party VDSL modem / router?) 

Lastly will BT allow this / for me to change the default ISP router to a third-party one, also will my internet speed drop because of changing the modem router or will it be the same speeds?

Thank you all, be looking forward in-hearing back from you all 😚!

--
Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT settings For ASUS DSL-AC68U

Go to solution

@Anonymous 

Just go with the defaults set during the initial install for the internet side of things. The rest like wifi names etc is down to you.

As for using a third party router , BT have no issue with that but if things go wrong with the service provided by them you'll probably need to put the HomeHub back for them to resolve it.

As for speed you might get a bit of variance , in my case mine gives me a higher upload speed but a slightly lower download but it'll probably depend on individual line conditions.

Trend Micro can be quite useful to have in place mostly. I've not experienced many bad things with it over the years.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Hello @TimCurtis 👋,

Thanks for that information, I've now setup the AC68U as my VDSL modem / router. I set the WiFi names to something that the family likes too 😊.

Don't worry I NEARLY CHUCKED THE SMARTHUB 2 in the bin then 🤣 luckily enough I'd seen your reply 1st, fingers crossed that nothing will go wrong with my ASUS DSL-AC68U VDSL modem / router 🤗.

Now I read something on Reddit or YouTube about Trend Micro log files going back to them too fix problems I'm not falling for that so don't worry @TimCurtis 😉 now because I've enabled Trend Micro on the AC68U to act as my firewall and my modem / router anti-virus. Would I need to turn this off BT Web Protect, the reason why I like to ask is because I'm NOW not using the ISP's modem / router I am using a third-party one. BT Web Protect isn't going too work unless I change DNS settings I think I don't know about this, is it worth turning it off or not? 

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Before doing anything else, if you haven't already, update to the latest firmware (in the administration section of router interface)

I'm assuming the DSL uses the same / similar asus wrt as the RT version

if you worry about the data collected by trend micro, then I would suggest you never use google, fbook or any of the other data collection sites even windows 10 does it to a certain extent. However, to be able to block malicious websites etc it will need to gather the information otherwise how would it know what were trusted or not.... They will not collect things like banking or personal details... if you want to be even more secure, then I would suggest setting up a VPN client on the Asus so all traffic is routed through that (it will slow your speeds though).... After reading a couple of threads on here yesterday about people having their network hacked I think anything that makes your network more secure is a bonus, especially as it is free... once TM is turned on, do a scan from within the network security part of AIProtection... it should all light up green... AIProtection, does however knock a couple of Mbs from my download speeds

As for Bt web protect, I would turn it off, as I believe Trend does a similar job anyway.... unless you have manually changed DNS settings, then your router should automatically point towards the BT ones.

Also, as an addition, don't forget to set up the IPV6 section of the router (if you want it), go into interface, 192.168.1.1 enter user / password (change these to something more secure and personal) and on the left in the lower section, click IPV6, change the drop down from disable to native then scroll down to DNS setting, click disable and add DNS server 1 and 2.... (I use the cloudflare ones, but others are available) then click apply... you may also want to do this in your IPV4 DNS settings too, but personal choice.

To add a little bit of extra security to your network, if you have visitors constantly using your WiFi, it may also be worth setting up a guest network - you can even set a bandwidth limiter and a time out schedule on these.

People worry so much about nasties being installed on their PCs, laptops etc and use antivirus / malware programmes, but forget about other things on their networks, such as Cameras, smart hubs, TVs etc... at least if the software is installed at router level, it can help to keep opportunists out of your network (a serious hacker will get into anything eventually, but in fairness, most serious hackers leave normal people alone).

OH, and the latest version of the app for your mobile / tablet is pretty good too

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Hi @akitaman 👋,

Yes I guess so 🤔 I already updated the AC68U firmware to the latest one, you were talking about data collection no not really doing anything wrong. My version of Windows 10 is nuked to death (no bloatware is on here, no telemetry is turned on, nothing is being sent back to Microsoft) I'm running nuke tools etc to keep on eye on this 😊 so thanks for the advice @akitaman 🖐.

Also I'm already running a VPN client on my S20 Ultra 5G and my Windows PC, the rest of my household doesn't want the VPN they don't want it (I cannot force them to install a VPN if they don't want to isn't it @akitaman 😉) I am a bit lost where you said 'AIProtection, does however knock a couple of Mbs from my download speeds' can you please explain this more further?

With the BT Web Protect you recommended to switch this off now, because I'm using a third-party VDSL modem / router no I have not changed the DNS settings I've left them as default. Should leave BT Web Protect on because I haven't changed the DNS? I haven't setup IPv6 just yet, I will do it tomorrow evening 😌. No I don't have Guest WiFi on because it's pointless if I don't have guests over it's just a family WiFi network (Powered by BT 😜) Oh right? I'll have a look at that application now, is it on the Google Play Store?

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

Bt web protect only works if you are connected to a BT network, using your log in details (home, hot spots etc),  so if on 4/5g mobile networks or using a friends wifi you won't be protected anyway... By using the AiProtection you are already using a malicious website blocker on your home network, so no real need for the BT product, there were also some instances of people getting 403 errors etc from valid sites whilst using the product (it is also known to cause issues with some lesser known streaming services.... By default, your DNS would automatically point to BT when you log in on the Asus.... it will also log any websites you visit for future records (as does TM to my knowledge), but any ISP will do that anyway and they may be shared in any legal request to do so (hence why I mention VPN for privacy, obviously a decent VPN adds other security too)....

Again, with regards privacy, regardless of any measures you may take, we are being monitored pretty constantly at some level without realising it, even if you go for a drive or go shopping - the tin foil hat brigade will have you living in a cave up a mountain... using things like Firefox browser, duckduckgo (search engine), facebook purity extension etc can help (especially with ad bombardment)... but judging by your previous post you seem pretty clued up anyway... only you can make the decision between added protection from in/outside of your network over privacy concerns... personally, I prefer to have the added security stopping snoopers that will abuse your data, over a well known security company.

With regards, speed slowing... under the adaptive QOS section on the router interface, you can do a speedtest (OOKLA based) at router level, obviously this is mainly a guide as speed can vary depending on which server you connect to, but I find if connected for example to Bath Uni, with AiProtect on, my speed is about 3-5Mbs slower than if switched off.... I cannot explain why, because my knowledge doesn't reach that far, even reading lots of threads on various websites makes it as clear as mud....

I simply mentioned the guest network as an added level of control over your network, my nephew quite often pops down (when not under lockdown) to update / download his games etc as they are only on 11Mbs (I have around 145), so the bandwidth limiter stops him rinsing my internet ...

Yes, the app is on google store

BT don't really have any IPV6 DNS servers and re-routes over IPV4, hence why I mentioned the cloudflare ones, obviously you could use opendns, google or leave as is....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Hey @akitaman,

Thanks 😉! for that information 😃.

@akitamanwrote:

BT don't really have any IPV6 DNS servers and re-routes over IPV4, hence why I mentioned the cloudflare ones, obviously you could use opendns, google or leave as is....

BT I'm pretty sure have IPv6 servers, correct me if I am wrong @TimCurtis@gg30340@Keith_Beddoe & @imjolly please explain to @akitaman I leant from you lot about IPv6.

Thank you 😊.

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

Hi @TimCurtis,

When you can, can you please help me setup IPv6 🤗?

--
Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

@Anonymous 

This is my IVP6 screen if that helps:-

ipv6.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

Hello @TimCurtis,

Yes I can see that information perfectly 😀. I'd like to thank you 🤗 for highly recommending this VDSL modem / router 😌, I haven't properly gone through the DSL-AC68U settings just yet. 

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64 

0 Ratings