cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: BT smart hub problem with a download

Its a bit odd, its a pity you cannot simply download the file to your PC, then send it to the TomTom, as a separate action.

There may be some form of licence or serial number check that is failing. I cannot see it being a network issue, if everything else works properly.

0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Thanks Keith for your opinion,

I will keep at it and let you know if anything changes.  I am using the Tom Tom community forum also and will see how that develops.

Terry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Zombie
Expert
Message 13 of 20

Do you have enough space free on the Tom Tom for 8gb of updates. I did my dads a few months back with the Europe roads as well and it was a struggle, I ended up removing the map pack he already had on it and doing a fresh install of the map pack he wanted. 

teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Yes, thanks for your reply. I have an additional micro SD card of 16 Gig. The internal hard drive is only 8 Gig and holding some smaller maps. I have tried so many methods also with Tom Tom assistance.
The software seems very flaky as others have had the same problem.
0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Thanks all for your help.   Have just tried a neighbours laptop and network but it failed again.   I think my relationship with Tom Tom is at an end!!

Terry

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

I could not see it being an issue with the BT Hub or BT network, at least you have proved it.

I had an old Tom Tom unit, but stopped using it and used Google maps on a small Android tablet. Map areas can be saved, and are usually up to date.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 17 of 20

@teljoy wrote:

Thanks all for your help.   Have just tried a neighbours laptop and network but it failed again.   I think my relationship with Tom Tom is at an end!!

Terry

One last chance before you lose all hope and abandon (all ye who enter).

@Zombie gave a clue.

Can you look in Windows file manager with the Tom Tom connected via usb.

Can you see the status of the TomTom drive and it’s sd card drive. Are they over capacity?

You may have to delete some files to give capacity.

0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Hi Ribblelancs
With windows 10 they no longer supply a file manager it requires a third party download. However just plugging in the tom tom with the usb allows me to view details in the "about" function and it states it has over 4 gig of free internal space and over 12 gig of SD card free space.
Although it could be misinterpreting the space??
I had considered that.
Terry
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

Where does the initial download go, as if it goes to the SD card, and has to be checked before installing, then you are talking about an initial 16GB until the download is deleted?

If the download goes to the PC, then it may be possible to transfer the file using an external SD USB adapter.

0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Hi Keith 

It downloads via the Tom Tom software to it's own download folder on my PC and it is allegedly checked as that is what it says when dowloaded which is given a tick.  It then starts the install and when finished the software on the PC checks again and ticks it. Although it doesn't as it says " some items were not updated ".  I would be concerned about transfering the file manually as I don't know what the device would check for?

I have been onto Tom Tom helpdesk again as they have enquired whether I have been successful so am awaiting a callback.

Terry 

0 Ratings