cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT smart hub problem with a download

I am a relative newby as I have had the BT smart hub for about a year.  The problem I have is that I have a TOM TOM sat nav and have been using the tom tom "my drive connect" to download and update maps.   This has worked OK until I changed to BT.   It may be nothing to do wih BT however I need to explain the problem so please bear with me.

When downloading small maps the process works fine.   However since the last update maps have got significantly larger and this latest one is nearly 8 gigabyte.   I am told by tom tom that the problem is with my virus checker and firewall not handling large files. A couple of gigabyte seems OK.  I have spent a week talking to tom tom help people but with no success.  Apparently I am doing everything correctly but the rejection message remains. I have included the tom tom download software in my virus and firewall exclusions but still have a problem. Tom tom are telling me that there may be changes required to my router , perhaps a port change.  The question is, am I being spun a line or do I need to make a change in the smart hub to accommodate large files?

Being a smart hub newbie I would be grateful for any usefull comment.

Thanks Terry

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT smart hub problem with a download

There is no limit to the size of downloads on any of the home hubs, so it has to be something else on your network. Are you using an Ethernet connection, or a wireless connection?

0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

I'm using an ethernet connection. Thanks for that bit of information as it eliminates the size of the download being a problem. The tom tom helpdesk still believes something on the network is blocking it but I cannot see where.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

What message are you seeing? How is the TomTom connected to your computer, is it a USB connection?

Are you downloading the file to your computer first, then sending it to the TomTom?

Is there enough space on you computer to actually download the file?

0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

The tom tom software "my drive connect" once it is launched on my desktop (windows 10) does most of the work. It tells me what updates there are and i plug the Tom Tom into the usb on the computer. I then select the update and indicate whether it should go on the internal hard drive of the tom tom or the additional sd card in the tom tom. The decision is also made by the software which shows what is on the tom tom cards.
Strangely the software has two graphical displays when carry out the process. One shows the download occurring and the other after download shows the installation occurring. But at the end after about three hours there is a message some items could not be updated. The tom tom helpdesk people have monitored this and tell me that the problem is a virus checker and or firewall issue. Although as mentioned I don't have problems with other map downloads. Tom Tom sends these files to it's own cache on my computer. There is plenty of space on the hard disk. I have tried on my wife's laptop computer with the same result.???
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Do you have any of the BT supplied software installed?

0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Keith, thanks for your interest.
I have the bt youview box which records programs etc. for my TV. This is connected to my computer via a bt broadband extender. The TV and BT youview box is downstairs and the computer in my office upstairs. However as a test I disconnected the broadband extender to see if there was an issue. I got the same message so it was not affecting this process.
Looking at the firewall options I cannot see an app that should affect this. But I am a novice where that is concerned. As mentioned I have put the tom tom software into the virus checker and firewall as exceptions and cannot see anything else I need to exclude. I know there are many others with a problem with the larger maps as the helpdesk told me. I have spoken to at least five other helpdesk personnel but unfortunately it seems that they are reading from a script and virus checker and firewall is the easy answer! Anything you can suggest will be gratefully received. I am a bit like a dog with a bone but am getting very frustrated.
Terry
P.S. It doesn't seem logical for there to be a problem with the file as all the others install successfully??
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

If you have the BT Virus (McAffee) software installed, then that can cause issues?

Have you tried disabling any additional virus software or firewalls to see if it helps?

If its a Windows PC, then the firewall would not normally cause issues if your connection is set to private, and not public.

Apart from trying it on a different computer, which has no additional protection software installed, I cannot suggest anything else. Another forum member may have other suggestions.

0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Thanks Keith for your help.
The only virus checker and firewall that I am using is the native windows defender and firewall. I had the others years ago and no longer use them.
I think it is coming down to trying it without any virus software or firewall. If it is successful I'll let you know.
Terry
0 Ratings
teljoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Hi Keith
Have turned off my firewall and virus checker and run the update again. I got the same result , a failure. My conclusion is that the download is a problem for Tom Tom and nothing to do with my system. It is what I suspected but I still try to be trusting even at my advanced age!!
Thanks again for your help
Terry
0 Ratings