cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billericaybrian
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT software update & intermittent wifi

During May 2013 BT told me I needed to update my system because there was now faster broadband in my area, this I did & it was done on the 28th May, since then my home Wifi for my radio & Ipad keep dropping out & the range is less now than previous, I have read other contributors on this site & have carried out a factory reset & unplugged my router & hub but things are no better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT software update & intermittent wifi

When you say BT told you that you needed to update your system, how were you told and what did this update entail. Was it changing from broadband to Infinty or was it the BTHelpdesk updating software on your computer or via an email?

Depending on your answer will decide what advice you will be given to try and resolve your problem.

From what you say it appears that you have Infinity because you have said you have carried out resets etc of your router and hub, I presume you mean the Openreach modem and homehub.

To try and help can you do a speed test when connected by ethernet cable, not wireless, using this link.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ 

Once the first test is completed then go to the  further diagnostics test when it is completed post back the results on this forum.

0 Ratings
billericaybrian
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your response!

I had mail from Warren B informing me about important changes to my BT Infinity service, I responded & a few days later I was informed that my infinity upgrade was complete.

I have carries out a speed test, results as follows; Download 33.01, Up 5.47, ping Latency 39.00, IP profile on my line 33.77,upstream rate IP profile 20mbps.

The software from my HH is V100R001C01BO36PO3_L_B

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Your speeds etc are not bad, the upload could be better but this could be caused by your switching the modem on and off. If you have done this a few time this can cause your speeds to drop. They will eventually increase but it can take a few weeks. If possible do not switch the modem off and on again. It is OK to reset the homehub.

I would suggest that you download inSSider and install it on your computer. Once installed start it and look for the channel with the least congestion. Take a note of this channel and then go into the management of your homehub and set the channel on the homehub.

The first link is how to get inSSider and the second link is how to set your homehub to a fixed channel. Once you have done this monitor how your radio and iPad perform

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

0 Ratings
billericaybrian
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the links!

I downloaded  inSSider & then changed the channels as suggested & I got the best results with channel 1, I got Link score of 71, rate 144 & signal -53.6Dbm in most of the house but then it went down to Link 24 & signal -78.5Dbml at other points.

I have read through the  inSSider notes & it says the higher the link score the better but it dosn't say at what figure it was good or bad, woud you know.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

inSSIDer calculates a value called Link Score for each SSID. This value is based on signal strength the number of overlapping networks, RF activity and the number of SSIDs operating on that specific SSID. A perfect Link Score is 100. The lower the Link Score, the poorer your wireless experience may be at that specific location.

0 Ratings