cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

BT to TPLINK 4300 Bridge

Go to solution

I have a BT Smarthub and it connects to mt settop box by Powerline adaptor on port 1

Everything else by wiFi which works well.

I now wish to connect a small wired lan to the wifi network using a TP Link WDR4300 router as a bridge. I have configured WDS bridge as per instructions, disabled DHCP on the bridge.

The SSID was located by the Bridge survey and connected that way, the BT Hub can 'see' the bridge on the 5Ghz band.

Devices connected on the wired lan cannot connect to the internet or get a dynamic IP (v4) so using fixed IPs, my windows 10 PC with staic IP connected point to point with the brige can identify a network called "network 4" but no internet connection.

I have tried

creating a static route to the WAN from the bridge, used the WAN IP, mask 255.255.255.255 and the BT hub gateway address.

disabling NAT incase I was getting double NAT problems

I am out of ideas... anybody else got any?

JIm

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT to TPLINK 4300 Bridge

Go to solution

Did you set the LAN IP address of the bridge to a value outside of the DHCP range of the hub and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Yes.

The smarthub can connect to the TP link router but cannot get from ethernet to hub through the router

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Have you tried asking on the TP Link forum as it is clearly a problem with the 4300 which is not routing packets to devices connected to it.

I have previously done something similar with an Edimax device in WDS mode so the principle is sound.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Yes the TP Link support people passed me on to a 3rd party help desk. The Expert assigned knew less than me. I came to the same conclusion that it is a fault with the 4300. Option 1 install open source router software... project for another day, Option 2 to get things moving, built a bridge using a Raspberry Pi and gigabit switch. This is up and running, just need a few tweeks to make the SD card read only as it looks like a long term solution, works really well. Thanks for your reply.