Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SWElec
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT whole home mesh system

Hi all,
Just wondering if these can be used to extend my wifi by means of ethernet cable? What I mean is that I currently have 5 discs installed due to the thickness of my walls, my garage and workshop are at the bottom of my garden and out of the mesh signal range...but I do have an ethernet cable to there providing hard wired internet, if I purchase another disc and add it to my current system and then move it to my garage and plug it into my ethernet cable there...will it work or will it create a new network by thinking it is the master disc because it’s plugged in??
Hope that makes sense...

Thanks in advance guys.
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT whole home mesh system

Welcome to this user forum.

A similar thread here https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Simple-questions-about-whole-home-WI-FI/m-p/1921278

What is implied by this post https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Simple-questions-about-whole-home-WI-FI/m-p/1921343#M7905

Is that you can add an extra disc to what you have already, if you want a seamless system, if not, then use the cheaper option of a wireless access point, especially if the garage and workshop are out of wifi range, and would not form part of the mesh.

Also bear in mind, that six discs are the limit, so you would not be able to add any more.

0 Ratings
SWElec
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply...

I wanted to create a seemless wifi system thoroghout my home and garage/workshop so as not to be swapping from one wireless network to another when I move from the house to the garage and back, etc..
So before buying another disc to find out whether it will or won’t work that way I just wondered if anyone had any prior experiences to share before a spend the money.
I already have an access point there, but its a cheapo one thats a few years old and keeps failing.
I also don’t need to add any more discs to the house now, I have good coverage that I’m more than happy with so all is good in that sense too.

Thanks in advance again for the help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

If you have an area between the house and the outbuilding which has no wireless coverage, then a decent wireless access point, with the same SSID and password as the main network, would probably just as good, as devices are going to disconnect anyway, when you move between locations, so you will not have a seamless connection.

The TP Link TL-WA801ND costs about £23, and would be worth a try.

The extra disc would also work, but I think it cost a bit more.

0 Ratings