cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT wifi extender Disc

Is there any advantage in connecting the extender disc by ethernet will this extend WIFI further into difficult areas from the disc.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT wifi extender Disc

Hi @Trebor85   If you are referring to the Complete WiFi Disc (black) then connecting by Ethernet is fine and more robust. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Yes, that is the one I was referring to , thanks for the info. Would it boost the WiFi more than a a weak wifi  it was receiving.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@Trebor85wrote:

Yes, that is the one I was referring to , thanks for the info. Would it boost the WiFi more than a a weak wifi  it was receiving.

Hi @Trebor85   If you connect it to the SH2 by Ethernet then it will have the same strong WiFi signal as the Hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Are you sure the black discs can be connected by Ethernet to the hub, I thought it needs to be connected via the wifi backhaul channel and that the Ethernet socket is for connecting a PC etc.

The first white disc needs to be connected via Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

With the "Complete WiFi" disks, the most robust method of connection is definitely via gigabit ethernet.
Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@licquoricewrote:

Are you sure the black discs can be connected by Ethernet to the hub, I thought it needs to be connected via the wifi backhaul channel and that the Ethernet socket is for connecting a PC etc.

Hi @licquorice   I tested this out during the trial, works brilliantly. 

Message 8 of 10

Sorry if I was not clear initially but I was referring to the Black disc, not the White ones.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

BT have stated complete wifi (black discs) ethernet connection not yet supported - has that changed? They said it was only for setting up (unlike the white discs).

I find it works nonetheless and quite well - but - limited speed, 60 to 70 on devices connected to wifi from the ethernet-connected disc compared to 600 on wifi alone from router. If I unplug the ethernet cable it works better (faster) as simply a wifi repeater (speed 500 to 600).

Ethernet option is great where wifi is weak or non-existent, you get a new wifi zone thanks to the cable connection but modest (still decent) speed. But I get much faster connection if I disconnect ethernet cable my black disc is able to detect wifi from router and then extend it.

Thoughts?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I suspect you are getting some sort of loop as the disc will be receiving a signal from both Wifi and Ethernet. It may be that if you can move the disc  further from the Hub, it will only receive the Ethernet signal and may improve things.

0 Ratings