cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smiker
Message 1 of 6

BT wifi has poor connection to Facebook and Whats-App

I have good quality BT Fibre broadband; a speed test returns 40MB and ping 8.  The internet seems to work OK, however when I log on to Facebook or WhatsApp it takes an age to download messages. I am faced with the connection icon endlessly turning and no messages appearing. Eventually it does connect but may take 10s of minutes or even 2 hours before the messages appear.  If I shut down the Wi-Fi and use 4G mobile phone data the WhatsApp connects immediately and works perfectly.

The problem persists when other people try to use my Wi-Fi with their phone.   However, if I am in another location away from home, and use Wi-Fi all is well - so it’s not a problem with my iPhone. 

I’m sure it is a problem with my own BT Wi-Fi router only. I recently upgraded my BT router from v4 to Smart Hub 2. However although the Wi-Fi signal is stronger it still has the same problem connecting to WhatsApp and Facebook.

I wondered if there is an interference problem in my home, however my phone is connecting at 5G and I cannot see any interference or indeed any other Wi-Fi carriers on my Wi-Fi monitor app.  The 5G Wi-Fi band appears clear.

Any ideas please?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT wifi has poor connection to Facebook and Whats-Appgv

By BTWFI do you mean your home wireless connection from the hub and not the BTWIFI-Fon network

did you turn off smart setup by going to hub manager then advanced settings then turn off smart setup

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Yousuf
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

I have the same problem. WhatsApp takes ages to respond. Further, Twitter is just not working. I have turned off smart set up but that has not helped. Anyone help please. Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@Yousuf welcome to the community and thanks for posting, do you have parental controls filters turned on?

0 Ratings
Yousuf
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks to this forum. I turned off parent control and now it is all ok 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@Yousuf I'm glad that sorted it for you.

0 Ratings