cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CPP1006
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BTHUB5 returning wrong IP address

Hi I have two laptops running windows 10 1809+ and occassionally I get the wrong IP address returned.

laptop1 has 192.168.1.140 - set on router

laptop2 has 192.168.1.141 - set on router

BTHub5 

I can ping both 140 and 141 but if I ping the host name ie laptop 2 I get returned 192.168.1.198 and the ping fails.

I have shutdown everything including dropping the power on the BTHub5 and restarting.

The router DHCP table has missing devices and sometime laptop2 is shown 2 or 3 times with different ip addresses.

any ideas how to fix please ?

many thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BTHUB5 returning wrong IP address

if you want your laptops to have specific IP addresses then you need to set static ip addresses in your laptop configuration  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@CPP1006 wrote:

Hi I have two laptops running windows 10 1809+ and occassionally I get the wrong IP address returned.

laptop1 has 192.168.1.140 - set on router

laptop2 has 192.168.1.141 - set on router

BTHub5 

I can ping both 140 and 141 but if I ping the host name ie laptop 2 I get returned 192.168.1.198 and the ping fails.

I have shutdown everything including dropping the power on the BTHub5 and restarting.

The router DHCP table has missing devices and sometime laptop2 is shown 2 or 3 times with different ip addresses.

any ideas how to fix please ?

many thanks

Either set static addresses on your devices  as @imjolly has said, or get a proper router.

Dropping the power won't clear out the DHCP table, you need to do a factory reset by pressing the recessed button with a paperclip for 20seconds.

0 Ratings
CPP1006
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Many thanks for your replies... I do not want to set static ip addresses for all my laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other devices just because BTHub5 is not working correctly. I didn't know that you havd to do a factory reset to clear out the DHCP cache, I thought dropping power and waiting 10mins would do that.

Maybe BT should add an option on BTHub5 to flush the cache.

Also are you suggesting that I stop using BTHub5 or get it replaced by BT or purchase something else.

cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

You need to factory reset the hub by pressing recessed button on back and holding for about 20secs until lights flash to clear the table and start IP address allocation again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@CPP1006 wrote:

Also are you suggesting that I stop using BTHub5 or get it replaced by BT or purchase something else.

cheers

I'm suggesting that ISP provided devices are cheap 'n cheerful  and a third party router would be better.

0 Ratings