Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaddyC13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BTHomeHub 4 and 3...

Go to solution

Hi Folks,

Just upgraded my BTHH3 to a new BTHH4.  All is well with the BTHH4 and there does seem to be an improvement in range/signal strength.

However, what I would like to do is have the BTHH4 downstairs and the BTHH3 upstairs (acting as a second access point).

Is this possible?  If so, what do I need to do?

Can the BTHH3 link to the BTHH4 wirelessly or do they have to be linked via an ethernet cable?

Many thanks

Paddy

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BTHomeHub 4 and 3...

Go to solution

You will need to use a cable.

This guide for linking two HH3s may help.

Link BT two home Hub 3s together and extend your wireless to another location.

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

im not too sure offhand of the various settings but definately they cannot connect to eachother wirelessly, you need to connect them by ethernet cable (cat5e or cat6)

0 Ratings
PaddyC13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for the replies/help so far.  I ordered some PowerLine adapters over the weekend and I configured the BTHH3 to be a slave to the BTHH4 this morning.  Once the PLAs arrive I will report back on how it goes.

Many thanks

Paddy

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

For a little extra you could have ordered a pair of powerline adaptors with a wifi extender built in which would be a better solution.

Maplins have this on special offer but it is probably the same price elsewhere

http://www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-200mbps-av200-powerline-kit-with-integrated-n150-wireless-range-exte...

0 Ratings
PaddyC13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Folks,

My TP-Link AV500 PowerLine Adapters (TL-PA451KIT) arrived this morning.  It was a huge box with a much smaller one inside!  Just wanted to say that they work brilliantly.  I now have BT Home Hub 4 downstairs which is connected via the adapters to a BT Home Hub 3 upstairs.  These adapters are suitable for streaming HD video and use up to 85% less power - they seem to be well made and are literally "plug and play".

Bought the set from BT and got a third TP-Link Nano adapter free.

Highly recommended.

Paddy

ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Just out of interest.  If you fire up your browser and enter "bthomehub.home" as the URL what hub appears?  Would this cause an issue?  I am thinking of doing the same thing with a HH4 and an old HH2A...

Thanks.

Chris.
0 Ratings
vjking
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Hi Keith--I'm trying to follow your link to "Link BT two home Hub 3s together" link but getting blocked even when logged into the forum. 30/9/13 at 15:06.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@vjking wrote:
Hi Keith--I'm trying to follow your link to "Link BT two home Hub 3s together" link but getting blocked even when logged into the forum. 30/9/13 at 15:06.

Are you accessing it from your BT Broadband connection?

A quick look at my logs suggest that you were using Obit Telecom (Daisy Communications)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
vjking
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

No--I'll try again from home (BT broadband) tonight. Thanks

0 Ratings