cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike000
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

BTHub 5 and BTHub 6, Wifi 5Ghz issues (update related?)

Hello,

I have been using the 5Ghz WIFI of the latest BT Smart Hub(6) for more than a year without a problem, i.e. the SSIDs have been split a long time ago in my hub. This is because the 2.4Ghz is very congested and connections in that band were being dropped. 5Ghz has worked almost flawlessly from the outset for us. (two iphones, ipad, TV stick, mac).

On returning from a holiday yesterday, I realised that our Internet is not working (wifi 5Ghz). I took out the older BTHub 5 and that seemed to solve the problem. Notice, it was immediately obvious that there was something wrong with the WIFI (ethernet is fine all along, blue light all the time). It was also very obvious to realise that on the older hub (5), everything was working fine. So, I left the old hub plugged in overnight...

However, today, returning home from work, I am noticing the same issue with BTHub 5 as with hub 6, i.e. problems with the 5Ghz band,unable to login from my mac, iphones login, but they have no internet. This means I can only use the 2.4Ghz which is not good enough for me 😕

Lo and behold, I am checking the BThub 5 log and I see the firmware was updated. Checking the logs I see this happened around 3am....

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 16/01/18

I have not checked the BT hub 6 log, but I strongly suspect, that I will see something similar.

So to cut the long story short, I think the latest firmware update "broke" two hubs for me re. the 5Ghz... If it works for you, then well done 🙂 BT please fix this Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BTHub 5 and BTHub 6, Wifi 5Ghz issues (update related?)

There are other post about wifi problem after b522 firmware update

can I ask did you change the SSID when you split the networks?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mike000
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

the friend from whom I had acquired the BTHub 5 had the names changed when he split the SSIDs, however, I had done a full reset long time ago, after which I did not bother to change the names; so I had BTHub-xxxx and BTHub-xxxx-5.

Note on the BT Hub 6, I have never changed the default names while splitting them. Notice however, as I said, I am yet to confirm that BTHub 6 also got the update (I strongly suspect it did get the update).

So basically for me, the problems with wifi and 5Ghz appear on both Hub5 (confirmed updated) and Bthub6 (not confirmed yet). I don't think I never changed any names. Just unticked 'Sync' and let everything to defaults

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

I have seen posts about hh6 firmware update suggesting it caused wireless problems but not hh5  Possible suggestion was because SSID had been changed but obviously not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mike000
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

An update to this to say, I have now confirmed that both Hub5 and Hub6 had been updated in Jan, both having issues with 5Ghz. Clients would say the password is incorrect and when connected there would be no internet, or there would be internet for a bit, and then it would cut off (but ethernet has always been fine.

I saw in some other posts that other people did not have problems, and a suggestion was made to go to wizard and click on 'no internet' (sounds weird)... Anyway, we will never find out if this would work for me, I gave up on the BT hubs for wireless.

I got a Unifi AP device and it's been providing us with Wifi for about two weeks now without any issues. A bit of an overkill for a house installation, but it's been working fine...

It would be interesting to know if this has been fixed for other people...

0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

I installed my new Smarthub on Sunday 4th February, changed the SSID, changed both wireless and admin passwords and split the WiFi into separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  This ran perfectly well until yesterday afternoon (5/2/2018), then the router rebooted and hung with a constant green light for well over 2 hours.   During this period, the 2.4GHz band was working fine, but no 5GHz band being transmitted.

Following a factory reset this morning, still no 5GHz transmission on the basic settings, so I repeated the steps of Sunday.   The home page of the BT Smart Hub Manager looks as follows:

Home.png

The Wifi page, however, shows that the 5GHz has been switched on:

WiFi.png

That sort of suggests either a hardware fault and the 5GHz side oif the WiFi is broken, or the firmware is corrupt.   The fact that the 5GHz band worked for almost 48 hours following the firmware update suggests it is the former, a harware fault.  

I got absolutely nowhere using the BT Chat facility yesterday evening   They couldn't even grasp the concept of the SmartHub having two wifi bands, let alone understand that there was a problem and offer a solution.  Dear Mods, if you are reading this, please get in touch!

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
nodns
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

According to some outage reports on the net its due to rushedout updates for acovered up terrorist attack on the free internet.

0 Ratings
raybh
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I have a similar problem with my hh6, it is not broadcasting ( is that the right term) on the 5 Ghz band, I have done the chat online bit twice both times to no avail, must be getting lost in translation, they rang me twice the first time saying my home hub was faulty and a replacement would be sent...great...nothing arrived, the second time they said I must of been rung by a scammer or I was scammed but kept either wanting to test my broadband or to say they could help by telling me how to split the two frequencies as I might be too far away from the hub for the 5 Ghz to connect, although I had already stated the frequencies were split and you cannot see the ssid for the 5Ghz when searching for wifi, this takes a very long time for the quickest way to contact bt and gets very frustrating. What I would like to know is there a phone number I can ring during normal office hours and speak to someone over here about my homehub wifi problem that has nothing to do with the broadband/fttc connection

0 Ratings
CombatGerbil
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Having the same problem myself this evening 5ghz has sopped working. I have even factory reset the hub and rreconfigured it to no avail. The signal is visible but will not allow connection and appears as "disabled" on my devices despite being switched on. So unless it's a hardware fault that is becoming common, It may well be firmware related.

0 Ratings
mike000
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

For all it matters I never went back to trying to get the 5ghz working. As stated above I bought an ubiquiti ac lr in January last year and this has been rock solid providing wireless on both bands. A bit of an overkill but I am very happy with it. Wireless is disabled on my by hub 6.
0 Ratings