Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doogie69
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BTHub6 Can't connect to Smart Life Devices

Go to solution

Ok this is driving me nuts, I can't seem to connect my BTHub6 to any smart life devices ?

To beguin I've made sure the smart devices are compatable with Google Home and reset to factory setting, I've accessed my hub and switched off the dual band so the hub is only on 2.4g, after reading some posts on BT community there was a suggestion to to turn off smart set up, did this and made no difference still cant find any smart device, an electrical output, tried all different smart electrical outputs and lighting devices compatable with Google Home, not one is detected by smart life App, deleted android Smart life App and re downloaded from scratch, made no difference cant connect devices.

Is BT Hub and Broadband compatable with Smart Life devices, should I consider changing Broadband supplyer.

I've ran out of ideas, if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution please put me out of my missery and let me know.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BTHub6 Can't connect to Smart Life Devices

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You could try a third party router, prices start at about £40 and usually work much better than a home hub. They are available locally, and can be easily returned if they do not cure the problem.

My daughter has loads of smart devices connected to her third party router (£40) , as they would not connect to her home hub 6.

There is full visibility of all devices that are connected, with throughput statistics as well. I actually remote monitor it from my house, so I can see what is going on. Currently connected are 24 devices, a mixture of phones, laptops, Google smart hub, Phillips HUE, Apple watches,  Chromecast and Now TV boxes.

Most ISP provided routers are fairly basic.

0 Ratings
Doogie69
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your reply and happy new year to you.

We also have many various devices currently connected to the BTHub6 all working perfectly, it just seems to be bizzar that the only devices that don't connect are smart life devices ? maybe BT plan to bring out there own smart devices that only work with BT products ?

I think I'll try setting up a new router, is there any particular specification I should consider when purchasing a new router or will any make do ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Doogie69 wrote:

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your reply and happy new year to you.

We also have many various devices currently connected to the BTHub6 all working perfectly, it just seems to be bizzar that the only devices that don't connect are smart life devices ? maybe BT plan to bring out there own smart devices that only work with BT products ?

I think I'll try setting up a new router, is there any particular specification I should consider when purchasing a new router or will any make do ?

Some people are lucky, and manage to get all their devices to connect, but this thread is typical of ones I see https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HELP-HH6-blue-light-but-no-internet/m-p/1887178...

This is the one I use, and its also the one my daughter uses.

TP-Link TD-W9970 it costs about £40, and you can normally get it locally (Argos). You can always return it if it does not fix the problem.

Specification http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

So far, I have not found any device that would not connect to this router.

There is full information on my website, if you need it. Its very easy to set up.

Please ask if you need more help.

0 Ratings
Doogie69
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your advice and recommendation, I ended up buying a TP Link WR940 through Amazon for 24.99, just finished configuring and setting up Smart Life devices through the this router, happy to say it all works perfectly.

Still find it bizzar that my BTHub6 doesn't seem to be compatable with Smart Life, oh well se la vie.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

That is just a wireless router, and cannot connect to a DSL line, so are you just using it as a wireless access point, and plugging it into one of the HH6 LAN ports, and connecting it to a LAN port on the wireless router?

Wireless routers are intended to be used with a separate modem, which would connect to the WAN port.

If you are connecting the HH6 to the WAN port on the TP Link, then you will be doing double NAT, and will have issues if you ever want to do port forwarding.

0 Ratings
Doogie69
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Yes thats correct, works fantastic and cheaper solution Im sure you'll agree.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Doogie69 wrote:

Hi Keith,

Yes thats correct, works fantastic and cheaper solution Im sure you'll agree.

I am pleased that you have its sorted. The HH6 wireless does seem to give some  people problems.

I would expect that the WR940 gives quite good wireless coverage, with its external aerials.

0 Ratings
Doogie69
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Hi Keith,
Yes I'm well happy with this solution, although I'm left wondering how many of the less fortunate people will just give up and abandon either smart life or more drastically simply change ISP, I'm sure this is a calculated risk that BT is aware of, or as I previously mentioned maybe BT have there own smart device launch that's only comparable with HH6 ? It would make sense ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@Doogie69

As you can see from the links to those other threads, some people do seem to have issues with the smart hubs. I am wondering if its due to the different manufacturers that BT use, and the different wireless chipsets?

There is nothing special about smart devices, they are quite simple really, and should not need any specific wireless routers.

In general, ISP provided routers are cheap and fairly basic, despite the claims made by them.

0 Ratings