cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anarak
Message 1 of 16

BTHub6 Dynamic DNS fails to update NO.IP Hostname

Moved from static IP on Plusnet and struggling  with this router.  Account at NOIP setup and pointing back to  router.  Router set up with account credentials and claims to connected to NOIP.  Saves, turns on and off and after hitting refresh apparently has sent current IP across to NOIP .   Remote access using NOIP DNS/IP pointer works fine into machine; local  VNC port forwarding working fine.  The problem comes when the local IP changes.  NOIP IP address doesn't get updated.  Hit the HUB refresh button as many times as you like and it doesn't update.  Turn DDNS on and off with Saves  doesn't update. Router  Restarts  and Connect /Disconnects  doesn't update  NOIP.    What am I missing please?    ( I really don't want to have to use the NOIP  download DUC App......)    regards  P.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BTHub6 Dynamic DNS fails to update NO.IP Hostname

Set a static IP address on the device in question.

0 Ratings
Anarak
Message 3 of 16

Yes, my PC is on DHCP but I dont understand how moving my networked pc from DHCP to static will help. The problem is the NOIP IP pointer is not getting updated when my BTHub WAN IP changes. If I go and manually update the NOIP IP pointer address everything is naturally fine until the router WAN addr changes . I've seen another post here that suggest BThubs can be flakey on DHCP and best to move remote accessed devices outside of the reserved DHCP range but I'm not seeing a problem with the networked device moving address ( yet!)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

@Anarak wrote:

The problem comes when the local IP changes.

Which I understood to mean when your LAN IP address changed rather than when your WAN IP changed.

0 Ratings
Anarak
Message 5 of 16

The way I've written this up assumes it is the BTHub which isn't correctly requesting NOIP to update. I suppose it could be that the BTHub is making a valid request and it is the NOIP server that isnt actioning it. However I've not seen anything similar reported here or on the NOIP support forums.
0 Ratings
Anarak
Message 6 of 16

Ah passsing posts. Sorry, my sloppy wording caused the confusion.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 16

Not certain why the hub shouldn't allow the new IP to be updated to NOIP.  Might be another 'feature' of the hub.  You might want to experiment with a different service and see what happens.  I use duiadns, very reliable, free and no requirement to make monthly log ins to keep active.  Handled IPv6 flawlessly as well.  Has a good application you can install as well if you require it.

As it happens I don't use a Hub, third party routers are much better.

0 Ratings
dp_black
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Having exactly the same issue. When the WAN IP changes such as on reset/reboot, checking the logs, the Home Hub doesn't send DDNS update to NoIP even though it is configured and activated. If Iog in to the HH admin, turn the DDNS service off, save the change and then turn it back on (you have to specify the DDNS service again!) then the log does show the DDNS change request being sent to NoIP with the updated WAN IP but No IP doesn't seem to update.

It worked the first time is was set but doesn't seem to any more 😞

Looks like both a poor implementation in the HH not automatically posting the DDNS if the WAN IP changes and the NoIP API not picking up any change that is made, causing two points of failure.

Anyone have a workaround as I use DDNS to access my home network via VPN on a raspberry pi?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Get a decent third party router and change DDNS provider. If you don't need fast wireless, the TP Link TD-W9970 is about £35.

0 Ratings
Davelcom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Following this, I have the same problem with DynDns on a cctv dvr.

0 Ratings