I gave up looking for an explanation/solution in March and went travelling abroad after hand setting the NO.IP target address. Fortunately my HH WAN address wasn't changed during the time away and I had uninterupted remote access. I lost interest in the problem on my return; other priorities.
The router has been restarted several times since my return in April and the WAN address changed multiple times. On the few occassions I have needed DDNS since then I have been pleasantly surprised to find that NOIP has always been correctly updated. I have no explanation.
I haven't changed any router DNS settings since setting up in March, when I first discovered the problem. I have no explanation except to note that the last update to the router firmware was on 18/7/2018 . Now version v0.09.06.05093-BT. Maybe a previous update occurred between April and July which solved the problem?
After seeing your post, just check again, I restarted the HH this afternoon and recorded the WAN IP before and after as well as testing remote access via NO.IP before and after. NO.IP had correctly updated after the address change. I checked the the NO.IP log and found it has apparently recorded 158 address update requests in the last 30 days. Sensibly that can't be 138 router WAN IP updates so it must be that HH periodically requests updates to the same current address without there having been a change?
Ok, that's really interesting, could you tell me where the NoIP logs are? I've had a look around the website but can't find any reference to them? It would be interesting to see if the HH6 is actually making the requests.
For now, I've managed to get it to dynamically update using my NAS, which has a plugin for the NoIP service. I don't want to rely on the NAS though as it doesn't come back up after a power cut for example.
p.s. Have a look in your router log, filter on DNS, I'm pretty sure mine was trying periodic requests, so that many could be possible just as a periodic update.
The number of updates in the 30 day period is shown on the first page after log in.
My router log for Saturday afternoon shortly after the forced restart to check No-IP was updating shows:
15:23:15, 04 Aug. DDNS Status: connected
15:23:15, 04 Aug. DDNS Status: connecting
15:23:13, 04 Aug. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 81.159.xxx.yyy
15:18:55, 04 Aug. DDNS Status: error (the hostname xxxxxxxxx.ddns.net specified does not exist in this user accountor is not in the service specified in the system parameter)
And it has been repeating this block of message lines every 5 minutes since forever... Curious....
So No-IP updates after a change....... but the router doesn't seem to record it correctly!
DDNS may not be one of the most frequently used features of the BT router but it clearly is frequently giving people problems.
I spent a couple of hours back in March trying to get telephone support to fix my discovery but didnt manage to find anybody who could help even though it is an advertised feature of the equipment . I really don't want to buy another router to solve the problem so is anybody familiar with the route to escalate this technically within BT?
I know this this is an old post but it’s Obviously something that’s still happening to quite a few HH6 users. I’m now using the HH6 and it does not update, if you go in to the hub you can manually start them in a few seconds, by re saving the settings.
Also noticed you’re limited to 3 host names now.
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this
Never had an issue with HH5 been running the cctv since 2012 without issues.
when I switched to fibre plus around 2years ago I was never supplied a new hub, I was told As an existing customer they wasn’t giving the HH6 out.
short story long I’ve had sluggish slow speeds continuously....well under guaranteed.. last month an advisor kindly agreed to send me a HH6,(although it was the old model and appears to have been a used one, with no cables, so slightly disappointed on that score) was going to discuss with advisor but didn’t get the follow up call as arranged.
And engineer visited and requested and open reach paid a visit a good few months back and said my line was getting “bottlenecked” his words.. and said he’d request it be reset nothings changed.
does make you wonder. Sorry to go adrift from original post.