cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lhrwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 126

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

@Jayebmx

That works!

To clarify what i have done.

I followed the original guide above but did not Disable the Authoritive DHCP and nor did i disable the Extended PnP Security.

This now works and has solved the issue i had with Wireless clients not recieving an IP address.

Big Thank You @Jayebmx

Another little side note is there anyway of diabling the front LED? at the moment u just use black electrical tape as the LED settings on the Smart Hub dont turn the LED off if there is an issue(Mine flashes Purple)

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 126

Go to solution

I use the Hub 6 as an AP and found the same issue with the purple light. There's a feature to turn off the front panel LED, but that only seems to work when the Hub is connected to the broadband.

Electrical tape worked for me, with just enough light "leakage" so I can see it's still powered on Smiley Very Happy

Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 13 of 126

Go to solution
Glad you got it sorted!🙌
I'll amend the post now, thanks for trying that and following the guide ☺️

-Jaye
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 14 of 126

Go to solution

Be very careful with BT Wifi in this mode of operation. If it remains enabled on your account, double check that BT Wifi login attempts to your HH6 fail.

If they don't fail then there is a chance that instead of simply going nowhere by having no outbound WAN route, they use the HH6 default route instead and so now gain access to your internal network via LAN socket 4.

Check carefully and be safe rather than sorry.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 126

Go to solution

It can't possibly do that, BT wifi is on a different subnet. If there is no dsl connection to the hub, there won't be a BT wifi signal from the hub in any case.

smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 126

Go to solution

The BT Hubs do not broadcast the BT WiFi SSID if they're connected as a 'standalone' access point i.e., they're not connected to the broadband.

BT WiFi is only active on them when they're acting as the home 'router', either directly connected to the xDSL or via a modem.

Regards

MorgaineD
Expert
Message 17 of 126

Go to solution
Good! 🙂 Thanks @licquorice and @smf22.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 126

Go to solution

I've been trying to follow this guide with no joy - can I check whether you guys have the SSID the same on both home hubs to make it appear as one network? 

I am trying this as the HH3 allows me to move the router away from the master socket so I thought I would use the SmartHub on the other side of the house to improve the wi-fi signal.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 126

Go to solution

I have separate SSID for each AP. The reason I do this is a lot of clients are 'sticky' and stay connected to the same AP, even if there'a another with stronger signal. Having a separate SSID means I know exactly which AP I'm connected to.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 126

Go to solution

Yep, totally agree, much better to have different SSIDs for each AP.

0 Ratings