Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fidtel
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BTOpenzone through ethernet

Bit of an unusual one this, I think.

I work in a private garden.  I have an office without a phone line, attached to the side of the house in which my employers live.  They are BT customers and so am I, so when I am close enough to their hub I can log on and use internet through BT openzone.  But my office is not close enough to pick up the wifi.  

I thought that Btopenzone was only accessible wirelessly, but have found that I can access it through a cable via homeplugs (i.e. I plug a cable from the hub into a homeplug and have another in my office with a cable to my laptop)  It works fine and I'm happy with that.  Because it is a wired connection, I am not asked to log on.  I can see another network listed as 'unidentified', which is obviously their main network.  I've taken that off the network list, so that I could never accidentally connect to it. 

They will be happy for me to use the internet connection if it is seperate from their network, i.e. it will not count towards their usage and I cannot access their home network.  I also would feel happier that they could not monitor my usage either.  So my question is basically - does this wired access through BTOpenzone work in exactly the same way as the wireless version?  If I don't get to log on, is it definite that the usage is through the openzone scheme and not counting towards my employers' usage?

Many thanks

Simon

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BTOpenzone through ethernet

That is not using Openzone, you are just using their normal broadband connection.

0 Ratings
fidtel
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Ok, but why does it say I'm connected to BTOpenzone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

No idea, but if you are connected to the hub via ethernet, you are not using openzone I'm afraid.
0 Ratings
fidtel
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Ok, thanks

0 Ratings