Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brillphil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BTTV wireless connection problems

This is a bit of a long story.

A few weeks ago we got our first HDTV, and decided to upgrade our BT package accordingly. This was mainly to get HD on Sport, which previously I mostly watched via chromecast, which as is well known gives a better picture than sport SD. On the TV side we had a flex 500 kit which was never entirely satisfactory, so in fact we tended to stream iplayer etc via chromecast. 

Anyway when we got our upgrade the HD on BTTV/Sport was poor. First step we decided to upgrade to flex 600 extenders, which made no difference.

BT CS advised that it was a box problem and sent us a new Youview +, which if anything made things worse. However using a long ethernet cable gave good results, but wasn't a practical solution. 

I decided to get a wireless connector, Vonets VAP11G. 

In the meantime I experienced issues with BTTV apps on android and windows. Won't bore you with it but CS response was  totally inadequate to the extent that we made a complaint and received compensation. That issue was in the end fixed by the app developers.

When the wireless unit arrived all seemed well. It seemed to work perfectly, but we experienced a problem that after any time idle from BTTV all connectivity was lost until hub reboot. There would be a blank screen, but sometimes error message IPC 6023.

CS assured us that the issue was resolved by an account refresh. It wasn't of course. 

Throughout all this ethernet connectivity seems fine, so in fact it seems to be only a wifi connected issue, It can be seen from the hub 6 log that on restart the multicast streams open up, but when activity ceases, say to listen to terrestrial content or in totally idle time, the streams are dropped although the setup is still connected normally. OK I can use chromecast for nearly anything but why should we have to do this when we are not getting what we are paying for?

I have of course reset everything in sight, with no improvement. Really what I'm wondering is whether we have a faulty hub, or alternatively in reality only connection by ethernet will give satisfactory results for BTTV HD?

Any ideas please?

Phil

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NextGenG
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BTTV wireless connection problems

The Flex 600s should be easily good enough. Are the data lights green when in use?

0 Ratings
brillphil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Oh yes they were fine 90% of the time, but intermittent drop outs prevented enjoyment of live content. I actually put it down to our wiring or interference, possibly from next door.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

If you're using a HomeHub of any flavour you can't watch BT TV - eg BT Sport - over any form of wireless connection. The HomeHubs are incapable of successfully transmitting the multicast signals that are required for BT Sport etc.

I know with TP-Link power line adapters you can make an adjustment that reduces the effect of interference but no idea if it's possible with BT's ones.

0 Ratings
brillphil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thank you Tim. That really reflects my experience as catch up, which I assume does not use multicast, is fine. Clearly the multicast signal is initially OK, but drops off as soon as idle. I can see on the hub log that the wireless link is unsuccessfully trying to restart multicast but the hub is apparently not responding. So it seems that its a choice between a long cable or just continuing with workarounds. I'm not aware of any changeable settings on the flex 600 units but will investigate further. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

There are alternatives to the HomeHub that'll work wirelessly.

Have a look at these 2 TP-Link modem/routers which I believe do :-

TD-W9970 single band £40

Archer VR400 dual band £70

Both these are cheaper, often recommend replacements for the HomeHubs so might be worth confirming that multicast over wifi is supported.

Personally I've a Asus DSL-AC68U which I can totally recommend and can confirm does multicast successfully over wifi and is still available at about £150 though.

0 Ratings
brillphil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks Tim, I'll look at those options.

Phil

0 Ratings
brillphil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I haven't seriously considered any further hardware changes yet as a) I had hoped things might settle down and b) I'm reluctant to incur further expense on solutions that may or may not work. I'm actually quite p'd off with the quality of BT equipment, and the generally poor customer support available. I have continued to test exhaustively and look for sources of interference over the last month or so, without any real improvement. To recap, I have four options to access BTTV HD channels;

1) Trail a long ethernet cable  across the middle of the room whenever I want to watch.

2) Reset the flex 600  plug in units every time - works most times.

3) Wireless connection via Vonets unit - resetting the smart hub every session to start multicast - takes about 5 minutes and obviously annoys my missus if she's on her ipad.

4) Phone apps and chromecast - works consistently.

Given that solution 4 works perfectly, readers can appreciate why I find this situatiion laughable.

It has been said that the smarthub is not wirelessly multicast capable, but I don't believe that this is entirely true, as evidenced by hub logs and solution 3. What it apparently cannot do is restart a multicast session without reboot, after a period of idleness or watching other TV.

I suspect that I will just live with this until a hardware change is forced on me by failure or change of service.

I can't convince myself that any of my equipment is actually fauly, although the hub reboot seems considerably slower than what I have experienced with earlier versions.

Cheers

Phil

0 Ratings