Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KristyMH
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BTWholeHome Extension Plan

Go to solution

WiFi PLan.pngI have tried using WholeHome APs in the outbuildings but doesnt work as are too far away. I know the set up in the diagram would work on the BTHub Router, but will it work on the WholeHome APs? I dont want to extend the BTHub SSID, I only want to extend the WholeHome SSID.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
albertj
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BTWholeHome Extension Plan

Go to solution

By default the powerlines won’t transmit the same SSID, you can set it to but the roaming between devices won’t work as well. Is this what you’d like? 

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
KristyMH
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Yes I would prefer it to have the same SSID and to roam between devices but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we had to enter the password again because I would set it to be the same. 

I’m not wanting to spend too much on boosters etc. But if I were to get 2 more WholeHome APs and connect them to the power line extenders would this extend the roaming device network from the main house?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Are your outbuildings on the same consumer unit as the house. If not the powerline adaptors will not work.

0 Ratings
KristyMH
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Yes. 

As I said I know it would work when connected to my Hub. But I want to know if it will work connected to the WholeHome APs

0 Ratings
KristyMH
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@BrunoN or @Dan-O 

Any thoughts on whether this set up would work when connected to a WholeHome AP?

I know I can clone the SSID etc. so not that worried about device roaming etc.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

Yes this will work because Whole Home Wi-Fi works in bridging mode so all the data from the Powerline network will reach your router as if it were connected to a switch or similar device.

You can match the SSID / password of your Whole Home Wi-Fi but make sure you also match the exact security mode (e.g. WPA2 only) as that will affect roaming. You may still find some devices don't automatically switch over to the Hotspots or swap back to Whole Home Wi-Fi as you move between them as the steering feature on Whole Home Wi-Fi requires all devices to be connected to a disc to work.

Dan-O

Device expertDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”