Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avidavasa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Backup for Home Hub 5

Go to solution

I have just been connected to BT Infinity 2, and am pleased with the extra speed compared with my former ADSL2+.

My connection is via a Home Hub 5, no VDSL Modem, so can't use my old routers.   I would like to have a backup for the Home Hub 5, so I bought an ASUS DSL-N66U.   My question is does anybody know the settings for the ASUS.   I have spent days scouring these forums and the internet, but have only found vague references to 'what MIGHT work' as the N66U is fairly new. Also what references I have found seem contradictory, ie some say vlan 101, others say no vlan.   Those who have set up their N66Us seem reluctant to actually list their settings.

Thanks for any details or comments.   I have not actually plugged in the ASUS yet as I am letting my connection alone for a couple of weeks to stabilise, as advised by the Openreach Engineer and others.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Backup for Home Hub 5

Go to solution
0 Ratings
avidavasa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks to Keith-Beddoe for the suggestion.   I read the post you mentioned  a few days ago, but in post 11 in the same thread the guy says he tried the reccommended setting, but with no success.   Also, on the internet, I read something to the effect that vlan 101 was for infinity 1, whereas I am on infinity 2.

0 Ratings
avidavasa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

In case anybody else is interested in the N66U, I found this information in a Fritzbox forum.

VLAN 101

VPI : 1

VCI : 32

login name and password as BT usual

The guy was definitely on infinity 2 as he was getting 80 Mbits/s down and 20 Mbits/s up.

I'm looking forward to trying all this in a few days time!

Hopefully BT will publish all this before long, saving days of searching!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

BT will not publish this sort of thing as its not supported. Not sure why you would need a VLAN setting anyway, as its only BTWifi that uses a VLAN.

My guees is if you needed to put anything in that box, you would just put the default VLAN ID of 1.

0 Ratings
avidavasa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for that, I'll add it to my notes.

I don't see why BT would not publish details of the required settings for infinity/VDSL.   They did for ADSL.

0 Ratings
avidavasa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I finally plucked up courage to tinker with my new ASUS DSL-N66U backup device for my Home Hub 5 - SUCCESS!!!

Settings as below:

WAN Transfer Mode

Transfer Mode = VDSL

Barrier = 0
Enable = Yes

Basic Config

IP Version = IPv4
WAN Connection Type=PPPoE

Enable UPnP = No

802.1q

Enable=Yes

VLAN ID =101

IP Universal Settings

Default Route=Yes

MTU=1492

IPv4 Setting

Get the WAN IP automatically?=Yes

Connect to DNS Server Automatically?=Yes

Enable NAT=Yes

PPP Setting

User Name=bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password=blank

PPP Authentication=AUTO
Connection type=Always On

TCP MSS Option=0 

I hope others find this useful - it took me several days to find it!

daddio
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Avidavasa

Have you managed to get BT Sport on ASUS DSL-N66U?  If so please share settings I'm not having much luck

0 Ratings