Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PingMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Belkin N600 modem router as Home Hub 2 replacement query

Hello,

After reading Keith's info and the streaming issues I have I've decided to get a new modem/router.

Searching the forums it appears there are one or two people using the Belkin, however I cannot find out if I can use broadband calls with this.

I currently get a bb talk dialtone on my dect phone and press 5 to get a bt landline. Is this something that only works with a Home Hub?

Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Belkin N600 modem router as Home Hub 2 replacement query

You cannot use your Broadband Talk number with it. Its possible to still use your landline number provided you keep the home hub 2 as well.

Its a different matter with the home hub 1, as the firmware can be changed to allow it to work as a slave.

You can still use BT Softphone,  a suitable VOIP handset, or an Andriod phone.

PingMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply Keith.

So if BB Talk has to go through the HH2 is there any way around this (not having a HH1) or should I just renew the contract and see if the HH3 will solve the poor streaming and allow me to keep on using BB Talk?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@PingMan wrote:

So if BB Talk has to go through the HH2 is there any way around this (not having a HH1) or should I just renew the contract and see if the HH3 will solve the poor streaming and allow me to keep on using BB Talk?

Thanks

No, only your PSTN line can be used through the HH2, purely as a DECT base station.

If you ask for a HH3, your BB Talk number will be automatically ceased by BT, and you will lose the extra phone number associated with it.

The HH3 will not sort out your streaming problem, it may make it worse.

A separate wireless access point is the answer, and still keep your HH2 as the ADSL router. Its also a much cheaper option, see the one I am using below.

This is a picture of my network. I do not use the wireless on my home hub 1.

PingMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Keith.

I'll wait until the Youview box comes out and will renew the broadband then. Having had a closer look, the landline options in the packages will cover what I use broadband talk for so I won't worry about that. At that time I'll go for the Belkin also.

Am surprised to find out that the HH3 is not optimised for streaming video, surely on a lot of these hi speed broadband packages that's its main use. Ho Hum....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Its just the WiFi thats the problem with the HH3, and many other basic routers. Whether the Belkin is any better in that respect, its difficult to know.

It depends on how fast its internal processor is, and how good the wireless radio module is.

Use a separate modem and WiFi router will always be a better option, as each is then dedicated to its own task.

0 Ratings