cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Best way to extend BT Infinity with BT Smart Hub

Hi,

I've recently got BT Inifinity, and when connecting directly to the Smart Hub in my living room I get a solid 60MB as promised. However when I move upstairs and the wireless signal drops, this very quickly becomes 10MB.

I do have some TP Link AV500 powerline adaptors, and I've configured these to broadcast the same SSID around the house. Upstairs, I connect to my powerline adaptor and get a solid signal strength, however download speeds are still limited to roughly 10MB. I'm guessing that the wiring in my house isn't great and so won't support the throughput I'm hoping for.

Bearing this in mind, what would be the best way to boost the signal around my house so I can still achieve the same throughput that I get when connecting directly to the Smart Hub at close range?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Best way to extend BT Infinity with BT Smart Hub

Use an Ethernet connected Wireless Access Point (WAP).

PS its much better to use different SSID's, you then know which device you are connected to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

The best way is to run an Ethernet cable to the area, then add a wireless access point to the end.

The TP Link PLAs should perform better than that. Its best not to broadcast the same SSID, as some devices cannot cope with the same SSID, but different BSSIDs.

Use a different SSID, and make sure its not on the same wireless channel as the home hub, otherwise interference will reduce the speed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thank you both, I'll reset the powerlines and not use the built in "wireless clone". I'll see if there is any improvement on speed when connecting to the PLAs own TP Link SSID.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Use the TP-Link software to see at what speed the adapters are connecting. On a good mains system you should see over 200mb. That's what mine will do.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I'm really not sure how or why, but it seems to have "settled" overnight. I checked the speeds on the TP Link utility and it seems that my speeds are actually pretty good (screenshot attached).

I'm now getting 40Mbps on my download speed test, which is much closer than the 10Mbps I was getting yesterday. So I'm not sure what to recommend for others that stumble across this problem other than to "leave it alone for a bit". Still on the same SSID as well.

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings