cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mar01006765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 46

Re: Beware - Google Chromecast Audio & Home Hub 5

Just thought, it's probably the cc audio interrogating the new ssid that's freezing the hub
0 Ratings
mar01006765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 46

I have requested a call back from Google via this page and they have opened a support ticket to get me a replacement cc audio.
https://support.google.com/chromecast/contact/play_c2c_chromecast/?hl=en
0 Ratings
mar01006765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 46

Just a final thought - this must have affected thousands of customers but not a word on any news / tech blogs... no announcement from Google and I know it's not BTa fault but a PSA from them would have been helpful surely ...
0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 24 of 46

Wish I'd seen this thread before I bought a new router. Mine was doing exactly the same. One thing I did notice was after doing a factory reset it seemed to be OK until I started to change the settings again. As soon as I tried to turn off Smart Setup it went straight to re-boot. A well, now I have a new router and a door stop. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
nawhiteley
Message 25 of 46

I've just done the same as some others I have seen - hot-spotted and changed to Preview firmware. I worked. Here's some comments on the process I used.

1. set my phone up as a wireless hotspot
2. reset my CCA (held down button till LED stopped flashing and turned solid)
3. ran Home app to set-up CCA from a tablet, connected it to the phone hotspot
4. in the CCA settings in Home app on the tablet, opted into the Preview
5. waited 30mins for firmware to download to CCA
6. re-booted CCA from the settings menu inside Home app (still on tablet)
7. checked that firmware had been updated from within settings of CCA (from tablet) (broken: 1.21.74816, preview (working): 1.22.77272)
8. from the CCA's settings menu in the Home app on the tablet told the CCA to factory reset
9. switched tablet back from being connected to the phone hotspot to using HH5 network
10. re-ran the setup to connect CCA to HH5 network

Hope this helps!
0 Ratings
cunsted
Beginner
Message 26 of 46

Re: HH5 keeps factory resetting

I've now done the workaround and am back on the air.

For the record :

Firmware on chromecast that caused me the issue was : v1.21.74816

• Turned off the homehub
  • Turned off all the chromecast audios
  • Started a wifi hotspot on a mobile phone
  • Rebooted a chromecast audio and did a factory reset on it (hold the button in - wait for pulsing orange phase and white light to return)
  • On a different (android) phone using the home app configure the chromecast to use the hotspot for wifi and enter the preview programme.
  • Reboot the chromecast, wait for it to boot. It should update to the preview version of the firmware. For me : 1.22.77272.

I then did the same to my other chromecast audios before turning the homehub back on and revisiting each of the chromecasts to put them back on the correct (homehub based) wifi connection.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Chris

deaglun
Message 27 of 46

I've had exactly the same issue. Yesterday morning I woke up to find my router had reset itself to its factory settings. Any time I attempted to change the SSID and password back to what it was before, the router would get itself in to a boot loop and eventually reset itself again.

I spent hours on the phone to BT support, believing it to be a router problem (as all the signs were suggesting a borked router). I was repeatedly told there was planned maintainence in my area and that's why my connection was dropping, and I should call back in 2 days time if I was still having issues. I protested that there was nothing wrong with the internet connection, and that it was the router itself that was problematic, but met fierce resistance. To be honest, the customer service experience was awful. 

But then I looked on twitter, and found this - and it turns out it was my chromecast audio. Someone should tell the customer support people as it might save them (and their users) a lot of bother.

0 Ratings
mar01006765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 46

Deaglun, RE the customer service experience. Yes.... I hate and dread calling BT India. Lying treacherous and passive aggressive are the first things that spring to mind when I think about them. The fob off with maintenance in your area seems to be the standard response. And yes a bt guy is usually out doing something somewhere so this is technically a valid claim although we all know it's highly deceptive as the bt guy will be making sure that service disruption to end users to kept to an absolute minimum. These Indian call centres are a disservice to BTs customers and ultimately to BT itself but hey they get what they pay for. I worked as a remote support engineer in a UK support centre and the difference is night and day .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jingies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 46

Re: HH5 keeps factory resetting

Similar to what others have posted, but if you can connect to your hub using an Ethernet cable you can then create a new wireless network independently of the hub and use this to update away from the broken firmware.

Unplug chromecast

Wire computer to hub

Create new wireless network on computer

Setup Chromecast Audio on new wireless network

Wait until CCA gets new firmware

Connect CCA to bthub without issue.

For windows 10, see http://www.windowscentral.com/how-turn-your-windows-10-pc-wireless-hotspot 

I know it can be done in other versions of windows, but I don't have links to hand.

Looks like both BT and Google are blaming the others hardware.

0 Ratings
mar01006765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 46

Google released the fw without fixing the issue after the preview group found this problem... so maybe they released just to be stubborn and highlight that bt is using non standard practices with their hubs. Maybe trying to force their hand to get with the program.
0 Ratings