Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Billion BiPAC 880AXL R2 - Ipv6 set up

Go to solution

Hi all,

I've just got myself a new third party router, it was easy to set up and get connected. However, I only have an IPv4 address and I was wondering if anyone knew if I needed to do anything special to get IPv6 to work?

I know Netgears will never support IPv6. I also know that we have a delegration prefix of 56 or something? 

My SmartHub, which I have just unplugged, was very random when it came to getting an IPv6 address. Sometimes it did get one, sometimes it didn't Maybe it's because BT haven't fully sorted out IPv6 yet?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Billion BiPAC 880AXL R2 - Ipv6 set up

Go to solution

have you tried the Billion forum  tried forum search here but cannot find any posts on subject

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I use a BiPAC 8900AX R2  and the menus should be similar if not the same.

goto: configuration > WAN > under PTM interface, open the edit box for ppp1.1

Half way down (roughly) tick the check box for IPv6 , save changes and you should be good to go.

Just take heed though, sometimes I get an annoying string of IPv6 messages in the log, saying kernel warning/ and a mac address, but it doesn't degrade the router performance. Merely creates an extended system log file.

Not sure why it happens, maybe something to do with which authentication server hands of to the ppp handshake., and whether it's fully functional with IPv6 ... dunno.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I'm reliably informed that home users don't need iPV6 anyway (at least not yet), so I've never bothered with it --- I've never had any errors referring to it, not ever.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Your informant is not particularly reliable then. As time progresses more and more websites will become IPv6 only and will be inaccessible to home users without IPv6 capability.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Hi RogerB,

Those settings are like that by default and this morning I got an Ipv6 address, so this proves it works.

However, the billion is proving to be garbage so far, all wireless devices suddenly complain of not being able to authenticate onto the router and only a reboot fixes it.

Still, I'll save that for the billion forum and I'll probably end up plugging the smart hub back in if it happens again.

Thanks all.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@andyhudson1979wrote:
Hi RogerB,

Those settings are like that by default and this morning I got an Ipv6 address, so this proves it works.

However, the billion is proving to be garbage so far, all wireless devices suddenly complain of not being able to authenticate onto the router and only a reboot fixes it.

Still, I'll save that for the billion forum and I'll probably end up plugging the smart hub back in if it happens again.

Thanks all.

Andy

With respect, Billion routers are not garbage .... and you really need to read the manual and check your config.

Their performance outweighs that of any hub about tenfold.

And seeing as you set it up via the wizard ...  read the manual.   😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
I disagree RogerB, the WiFi range is also a lot worse for the 2.0Ghz frequency than the smart hub. I only live in a small house I should easily get a signal in every room. I'm sending it back.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Strange ... yet I live in a large house, and even satisfy  a wi-fi signal 60 yds to the bottom of my garden and my house has solid walls.

I know my router is possibly more advanced, but I'd be surprised if yours didn't have advanced functions configuration as per this page.

Capture.JPG

And the same for the 5Ghz band  ...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
My model has all those options too, and I've tried most of the channels of the 2Ghz frequency. I guess I have a faulty unit.
0 Ratings