cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikepayne
Message 1 of 10

Blocked website

I administer the website www.radarmuseum.co.uk which is the website for the radar museum.

From the start of the year I found that via my BT Hub the site was blocked. I can access ok on 4G. the strange thing is that if I restart the hub i can access the site for about 10 minutes and it is then blocked again.

I have no parental controls set and no filters set on the Hub.

At the start of last year I saw a similar problem and after a lot of pushing BT admitted the site had been blocked.

I have talked with BT, including the technical experts and they suggested i post on the community as they do not know how to solve the problem.

Any Suggestions?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Blocked website

Welcome to this user forum.

I did see a post on the forum where there was a similar issue which was due to an IPv6 issue, where there was no IPv6 DNS entry for a website, and the home hub was using the IPv6 route.

That may explain why it initially works. It may be worth checking to see if you have an IPv6 DNS entry as well as an IPv4.

Someone else may be able to explain it better.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

@mikepaynewrote:

I administer the website www.radarmuseum.co.uk which is the website for the radar museum.

From the start of the year I found that via my BT Hub the site was blocked. I can access ok on 4G. the strange thing is that if I restart the hub i can access the site for about 10 minutes and it is then blocked again.

I have no parental controls set and no filters set on the Hub.

At the start of last year I saw a similar problem and after a lot of pushing BT admitted the site had been blocked.

I have talked with BT, including the technical experts and they suggested i post on the community as they do not know how to solve the problem.

Any Suggestions?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I've no issue seeing the site.

Were you told why BT had blocked it last year? (if indeed that was the case).

If you can access it for 10 minutes after a reboot, then it clearly can't be blocked and indicates a local issue to you. How are you accessing the site, laptop, desktop, smart device etc? Do all of these devices have issues contacting the site?

What AV or other security products are you using?

0 Ratings
mikepayne
Message 4 of 10

Andy

All my devices, apple and Microsoft have the same issue. I have norton on one PC and Mcafee on a second PC.

Mike

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Its not blocked. I got a 502 first attempt but was OK second attempt. Perhaps network congestion towards your server/host.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

There is no no AAAA record for that website, which is why I suggested that maybe the home hub is switching to IPv6 DNS, once it has time to settle, so the connection fails?

I cannot prove it, as I do not have IPv6 routing.

@mikepayne could that be the issue I wonder, perhaps ask your hosting service why there is no AAAA entry in DNS.

Does anyone else remember that similar forum post?

I may quite easily be wrong, but its just a thought.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Works fine for me, so it's not blocked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Website works fine for me.

Not on topic but can I make a suggestion which is a pet complaint of mine. 

It is very unlikely that children will visit your museum on their own so with that in mind in order to encourage family visits to your museum why not make any accompanied children free.

While I accept your family ticket is not necessarily expensive if you have the money compared to some events/attractions that rip off families, it can be the difference for families on a budget as to whether or not they can afford a day out.

I would encourage all places that charge for child entry to do the same. Don't charge for children and you may be surprised how many more visitors you get.

-Richie-
Expert
Message 10 of 10

I notice a lack of 'cookie consent' when visiting, your privacy policy states the use of cookies but the website fails to notify, It's now mandatory to display the warning for visitors.

0 Ratings