cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRrift
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Blocking an Ip

right so cba explaining the issues here is my LONG forum i did already: https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/lag-spikes/td-p/1939883
so the 2nd hop 172.16.**.* can i change the route i take so i go down a 2nd hop i just had a BT engineer round who said i can go into my hub settings and block this IP so that my HUB / Router will find a different path to take so i wont lag as this 2nd IP has a fault with lag spikes/ inconsistent ping any1 know if i can or how i can block this IP from my HUB / stop my hub going through or connecting to this hop/IP ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Blocking an Ip

You have no control over the network routing once it leaves your router. It's likely to be different each time your public IP address changes, so restarting the home hub is likely to change the routing,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

The Openreach (not BT) engineer was telling you complete rubbish. That is the gateway address of the BRAS you are connected to.

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

so no matter what i will always go down the same 2nd IP and why does my mate (who lives 300 m away) have a different 2nd IP adress

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TRrift
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

restarting the router does nothing its always the same ip at the 2nd hop

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@TRrift wrote:

so no matter what i will always go down the same 2nd IP and why does my mate (who lives 300 m away) have a different 2nd IP adress

Because he is connected to a different BRAS.

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

so i can't change which BRAS i connect to?

0 Ratings
TRrift
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

if i was to contact BT and speak to someone higher up than the call centre (which i can) then could they change which BRAS i connect to?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

No. You could try disconnecting your router from line for a few hours rather than just briefly and see if that results in a different IP address, but it is doubtful that it will.

0 Ratings