cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
emmaxxc
Message 1 of 10

Blocking certain pages accessed through wireless

I'm the billpayer of my connection and I share this with other's in the house, people in the house use the wireless connection through their phones and upload videos to facebook and stuff, I have asked them not too but it still keeps happening. Is there anyway I can stop this. I have tried going through the NetProtectPlus Parental controls but cant find a way to do it?? someone please help I dont want to go over my useage πŸ™‚ Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Blocking certain pages accessed through wireless

@emmaxxc wrote:

I'm the billpayer of my connection and I share this with other's in the house, people in the house use the wireless connection through their phones and upload videos to facebook and stuff, I have asked them not too but it still keeps happening. Is there anyway I can stop this. I have tried going through the NetProtectPlus Parental controls but cant find a way to do it?? someone please help I dont want to go over my useage πŸ™‚ Thanks

Are you using a BT Home Hub, if so, which version?

0 Ratings
emmaxxc
Message 3 of 10

it says a bt home hub 3.o on the bottom?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@emmaxxc wrote:

it says a bt home hub 3.o on the bottom?

That does not support any form of web filtering, however, if you are prepared to change the router for one that does support web filtering and bandwidth control, the TP-Link TD-W8960N which costs about Β£37, has all these facilities.

You can block web pages, apply time restrictions, and restrict the download and upload speed of each user.

0 Ratings
emmaxxc
Message 5 of 10

**bleep**. I will just have to warn them once more with my belt in hand or it'd be easier to buy some software to block pages. How do I just turn wireless off or reject access of certain devices to the connection? πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@emmaxxc wrote:

**bleep**. I will just have to warn them once more with my belt in hand or it'd be easier to buy some software to block pages. How do I just turn wireless off or reject access of certain devices to the connection? πŸ™‚

Any software would have to be installed on their machines, and could easily be bypassed.

You can block devices by looking here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11364/~/how-do-i-set-up-bt-access-control%3F

If you want to turn off wireless then you have to opt out of BT FON first, but then you lose your free access to other FON hotspots.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
del3607
Message 7 of 10

You could always phone the tech help desk and get them to change the wireless key, once the key is changed don't tell the the rest of them so they won't be able to access the wi-fi in the house as for the rest of them accessing the BT Fon or Openzone thats ok if you want to give them your btinternet and password because regardless of what broadband package you are on you have unlimeted access to the wi-fi hotspots - hope this helps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

You can change the wireless key yourself. See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38141

Then use the option to change your security code.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@del3607 wrote:

You could always phone the tech help desk and get them to change the wireless key, once the key is changed don't tell the the rest of them so they won't be able to access the wi-fi in the house as for the rest of them accessing the BT Fon or Openzone thats ok if you want to give them your btinternet and password because regardless of what broadband package you are on you have unlimeted access to the wi-fi hotspots - hope this helps

The wireless key is controlled by the end user, not the tech helpdesk - but if the router is available to be reset, then it can still be done.

However I would suggest never, ever give anyone else the primary btinternet email address/password - that could lead into all sorts of problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

To make it a liittle more difficult for them, you can change the SSID as well as the wireless key. (Some advise doing that anyway so that potential abusers can't tell what router you're using.)

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings