cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardHors
Message 1 of 17

Bowers & Wilkins Speaker Connection

Go to solution

Hi BT Community, anybody able to help with a wireless speaker issue?  - I'm a first time poster with limited technical knowledge. I have PC with itunes and and want to connect a wireless Bowers & Wilkins A5 speaker via BTsmart hub2. I have used this speaker for the last 2-3 years and connecting it has always been difficult. I have tried to use the B&W connect app without success (says it can't find the device) and also the windows device manager...still no joy. When looking on the hub manager i can see all other wirelessa devices but not the speaker. B&W say:-

It is possible to use your Wireless Music Systems AirPlay feature with a wireless N (802.11n) router, provided the router is broadcasting using a wireless G (802.11g) signal or a mixed variant including wireless G. Most routers will have this enabled automatically.

NB: Wireless Music Systems are not compatible with routers setup to broadcast in Wireless N (802.11n) mode only.

If you are using a dual band router and are having trouble using the AirPlay function, please ensure that the 5GHz band/network has its own Network Name (SSID), separate from the 2.4GHz wireless network. If the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks share the same network name (SSID), the Wireless Music System may have issues connecting to the 2.4GHz network.

I can see from the hubmanager that the router is a dual band. All the other wireless devices seem to have connected to the 5GHz . I dont know how to change the network name (recommended by B&W) or what impact this would have on other devices already connected. Any advice to connect this speaker much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Richard

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Bowers & Wilkins Speaker Connection

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn off smart setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also try separating and renaming the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

Its usually smart setup which causes the problem, but renaming the SSIDs can also help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@RichardHors wrote:

I can see from the hubmanager that the router is a dual band. All the other wireless devices seem to have connected to the 5GHz . I dont know how to change the network name (recommended by B&W) or what impact this would have on other devices already connected. Any advice to connect this speaker much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Richard

If you split the bands and rename the 5Ghz band as recommended, you will need to re-connect your other devices to the renamed 5Ghz signal, the new SSID will appear in the list of networks. You can leave the password for the 2 signals to be the same as they are.

You could also try setting the wireless to Mode3 in advanced wireless settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

There was also a contribution to my website, from another forum member, quite some time ago. I think it may relate to the same system Zepplin Air wireless system

0 Ratings
RichardHors
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks - I read that thread it was related to the router dropping the zepling after it had been idle.

0 Ratings
RichardHors
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Many thanks for prompt replies. Will look in to this now.
0 Ratings
RichardHors
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for this. Its possible to rename the bands in the hub manager?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Yes, in advanced wireless settings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@RichardHors wrote:

Thanks for this. Its possible to rename the bands in the hub manager?

As described on the link I posted earlier http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

0 Ratings
RichardHors
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

In relation to re-naming the bands ,the instructions on the link (below) not appear to relate to the hub manager 2. There doesnt appear to be an option to click to open the 5Ghz band names or sync (sorry my screen grab to show you isn't working for some reason). 

For some devices you can solve this problem by having different network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. To set this up, follow these steps:

1. Open your web browser on a device connected to the Hub and go to bthomehub.home. This will open the Hub Manager
  2. Click on Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted. Unless you've changed it, you'll find the default Hub password on the Hub settings card
  3. Click on Continue to Advanced Settings
  4. Click on Wireless
  5. Click on 5GHz
  6. Change 'Sync with 2.4 Ghz' to No
  7. Change the 'Wireless SSID' to a new name (we recommend just adding '5GHz' to the end of the existing SSID name so you'll know which one is which)
  8. Click Apply to save the changes
0 Ratings