Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adrian007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Availability Checker

Go to solution

This is the result for my telephone line using the BT Broadband Availibility checker

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTCUp to 4.2Up to 0.9--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--1.5 to 5.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3Up to 0.51.5 to 5.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1.5 to 4.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available

Are the downstream line rates the sync speed or the data throughput?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Availability Checker

Go to solution

I think these figures are throughput as BT were stopped from quoting connection speed of up to 20mb and must quote the throughput speed hence now it up to 16mb for adsl

but they are only estimates

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Adrian007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

The BT Speedchecker reports my connection speed as 7.61Mb and my download speed at the computer as 6.59Mb however using iStat on my iMac to monitor my ethernet speed during that test it recorded a download speed of 895kb/s which is typically what I get when I download a large file. I use an Apple TV to watch HD movies (streaming) with no problems but if I download an HD movie of say 4GB it takes almost 1.5 hours to download which is consistent with the data rate of around 900kb/s. So I don't really understand what the Speed Checker or the Availibility Checker are reporting.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
You already posted on another thread about this but in connection with FTTC.

My checker shows 4.5/5mb but i can get 7/7.5. I just am happy that my line is actually better than the estimate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Adrian007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I realise that but I still dont know the answer to the question, I think the Watchdog piece the other night about Openreach says it all. You just cannot get an answer from them because individual consumers are not allowed contact and have to rely on these forums. Try contacting BT Retail and it just gets worse. I have a background in Electronics and Telecommunications so I just wish that I could speak with someone in BT who could give me a very simple explanation about the service that is provisoned on my line but I might as well try to play golf on the moon.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
I moved your post here as the other board is for problems with your connection whereas this in to do with the checker figures

I think you are unlikely to be able to discuss it with anyone. Just as you say openreach will only talk to your ISP whi are their customer

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Adrian007,

The BT Wholesale checker is estimating the throughput speed you may be able to achieve as an Up To figure.

For example for the  ADSL2+ results for your line estimate a speed of upto 3mbps, meaning that that the BT Wholesale database estimates your line may be able to cope with a throughput speed of upto 3mbps or lower, usually between 1.5mbps and 5.5mbps (This is the range in which your line maybe able to cope with)

Though as already been said this is just an estimate taking into account of several variables and the characteristics of similar lines to yours. Though the speed could well be lower or higher than estimated.

No lines are the same so the speeds will vary from line to line.  
Some factors are:
1) Each line are of Different lengths
2) Each line is technically different - maybe made from different materials and different thickness. 
3) Each line is of a different age & some may have had some "patch work" over the years where old line meets new line somewhere between the home to the exchange. 
4) Some houses may have different master sockets.

There are a lot more factors that can effect the Broadband speeds.

In your case your actual ADSL speed is above this estimate, which in your case is excellent.

you say your sync speed is at 7.61mbps and your throughput speed is usually around 6.59mbps which is correct and good for your sync speed.

Bearing that in mind, you say iStat measures your transfer rate as 895kb/s which is 6.99mbps which again is correct and good for your sync rate.

You also stated that a 4GB HD film which is downloaded at a transfer rate of 900kb/s which is equivalent to about 7mbps which is again good for your sync rate.

A download completion time of about 1.3 to 1.4hrs for a 4GB file at a transfer rate of a constant 900kb/s is correct.

Taking all that in mind, you have a very good sync rate and your throughout speed and transfer rate is correct for your sync rate.

As to your previous questions about FTTC (which you have asked before) I would say that you may be best to stay on your current ADSL broadband service and not go on a FTTC service as of yet as the VDSL/2 signals used for FTTC broadband connection degrade far quicker in terms of distance than conventional ADSL broadband signal do.

Hope that all makes sense,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Adrian007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

That is the best answer/explanation so far and confirms what I thought.

I think a general problem is that not many people out there may understand the relationship between Bits and Bytes so I was hoping to highlight that in my posting.

I used to have an issue at the end of 2011 when it was impossible to use BBC iPlayer by highlighting this on this Forum, one of the mods stepped in and sorted the problem which was a hot VP link, then in April last year our local exchange was upgraded to 21CN and I saw a jump from 4.5Mbps to the present performance, which incidentally has dropped , up until last Friday 25/10 I was getting around 7.2Mb download with a connection speed of 8.25Mbp. Our exchange has been upgraded to provide FTTC and with my house located 1.6km from the cabinet which in turn is 2.2km from the exchange I was anticipating being able to get BT Infinity given my line is performing above the estimate. I have been offered Faster Broadband which will be wire to the cabinet then fibre to the exchange but as there is no guarantee that my line speed will increase and in fact could decrease I'm staying with the current service.

0 Ratings