Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daved92001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Extenders

Go to solution

A couple of years ago, thanks to help from this forum, I purchased the BT Broadband Extender 500 Kit and it works brilliantly. This kit comprised two black Extenders, without pass-through sockets; BT appear to have replaced this kit by one that has two white extenders, with 600 in the title.  Not fussed about the no pass-through as I have plenty of power points, unusual as that may sound ! The 500 Kit I am using has only one socket on each extender in which to plug an ethernet cable.

Anyhow, I now need another extender and want to know where to get a single extender (with or without pass-through) that will marry up (technical term !) with my existing BT Broadband Extender 500 Kit.

Any help as to what to purchase and from whom will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Dave.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Extenders

Go to solution

If you are just wanting another extender because you do not have enough Ethernet ports in the room you could just buy and Ethernet switch.

They come with various numbers of Ethernet ports. You would connect the Ethernet switch into your  extender via an Ethernet cable and you would them connect your devices into the Ethernet switch.

daved92001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Many thanks; sounds good. However, not being very "techie", if I look on line Ethernet Switches appear to allow different devices on a network to communicate .... with each other ? Or just communicate with the broadband coming in to the house through the BT Hub ? Basically, just need the extra port to get broadband to the Smart TV. Also, what is the difference between a managed and not managed switch ?

Apologies for being a bit dim on this, but would, for example, the BT 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch £17.98 do what I want. Even on this item, it talks about connecting the Switch directly to the Hub, not to an Extender in another room which is what I want to do.

Again, many thanks, Dave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You need an unmanaged switch.

They act just as a way of giving you extra Ethernet ports so anything that connects to your network will be able to communicate with anything connected via the Ethernet switch just as they do just now when connected via your extenders.

The Ethernet switch will work fine being connected via an extender.

Just think of it like an electrical extension cable. You plug the electrical extension it into the electrical socket and you can then plug other electrical sockets into it. An Ethernet switch works in the same way only it is transmitting your broadband signal instead of electricity.

The BT one will do but you can get cheaper models.

daved92001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Very many thanks. In particular for making the process clear to me !

All the best,

Dave.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

You need an unmanaged switch.

They act just as a way of giving you extra Ethernet ports so anything that connects to your network will be able to communicate with anything connected via the Ethernet switch just as they do just now when connected via your extenders.

The Ethernet switch will work fine being connected via an extender.

Just think of it like an electrical extension cable. You plug the electrical extension it into the electrical socket and you can then plug other electrical sockets into it. An Ethernet switch works in the same way only it is transmitting your broadband signal instead of electricity.

The BT one will do but you can get cheaper models.

Nice one @gg30340 Smiley Happy

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Do you have Youview with a BT TV contract or likely to get one?

If you do I'd suggest an unmanaged switch that supports IGMP snooping - don't worry about what that is - and I'd suggest a TP-Link TL-SG105 at around £18. It's all to do with the way the BT TV subscription channels send the data to the Youview box and without such a switch that can have an impact on other connected devices - a good example being Sky-Q

0 Ratings
daved92001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

No, I have Sky+ HD box with Sky subscription plus BT Sport on the Sky platform.

Many thanks though,

Dave.

0 Ratings