cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mutzig23
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Infinity

Just upgraded broadband fron Infinity 1 38MB to Infinity 2 80MB. Absolute rubbish and a waste of money.#It seems that if you use a wireless connection you will never increase the download speed no matter what the speed from the exchange is.

On 38MB on a wireless system I was getting 36-37 mb on Infinity 2 80mb i am getting 35-38mb. What is the point in upgrading if you cant get Improved wireless speeds.  Total ripoff.

Spoke to BT technical, they are not Interested in helping, just go through the company speel and do not offer any help at all

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Infinity

@mutzig23 wrote:

Just upgraded broadband fron Infinity 1 38MB to Infinity 2 80MB. Absolute rubbish and a waste of money.#It seems that if you use a wireless connection you will never increase the download speed no matter what the speed from the exchange is.

You will if your wireless link is capable of higher speeds. You will only achieve the speed of the slowest link in the chain.

On 38MB on a wireless system I was getting 36-37 mb on Infinity 2 80mb i am getting 35-38mb. What is the point in upgrading if you cant get Improved wireless speeds.  Total ripoff.

Spoke to BT technical, they are not Interested in helping, just go through the company speel and do not offer any help at all

No ISP will guarantee or assist with wireless speeds, there are just too many variables beyond their control.

Have you split the 2.Ghz and 5 Ghz wireless SSIDs to see if that helps?

0 Ratings
brianhes
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Have you done any tests with a wired ethernet connection, as the wireless connection could be limiting the speed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

did your conenction actually increase to 80mb?  it is not automatic just because you are on infinity 1 max

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mutzig23
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I get 80mb when connected by wire but only 35mb on wireless. When I contacted BT they said this is normal and every broadband supplier has the same situation. I contacted Virgin, Sky anf Talk Talk who confirmed they have alower speed on wireless but by only 10-15%. BT speed is 56%lower.

Waste of time

0 Ratings
mutzig23
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

BT sent confirmation e mail stating the lowest speed I would get is 65mb. there was no qualification that this is only on a wired system.

Yes I split 2,4GHz and 5.0 GHZ. when on 5.0GHZ the speed actually got worse

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Likewise there was no qualification that you would get full speed over a wireless connection. BT and all ISPs only guarantee speeds over a wired connection to the router at your house.

There are far to many variables for any ISP to guarantee your wireless connection speeds. Things like the construction of your house, other wireless sources and electrical interference can all affect your wireless speeds.

It can also be affected by what type of wireless network card is installed on your computer and if the drivers for the card are up to date.  Have you checked for updated drivers. Use the card manufacturer's website rather than Windows because they can often be out of date.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 8 of 8

It sounds as if your wireless card is only "wireless g" you need "wireless N" for faster speeds.

0 Ratings