cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Judesman
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Broadband Set Up Problems

I have just signed up to BT Broadband and have a few problems.  I am not much of a techy so any help would be appreciated.

I was previously with Virgin but had to switch when I moved house. So I have set up the BT Home Hub 4 wirelessly and got the internet without any problems with a download speed of 12.5 Mbps which is very good for this area. However the speed is fluctuating now between 12 Mbps and 1.2 Mbps.  I know it takes a few days to settle down but should such an extreme swing be acceptable?

The notes say a better connection can be achieved by cable but there are no instructions with the router regarding a cable connection.  So if I connect the cable do I have to click disconnect that appears in the pop up box from the task bar or can I just plug in the cable?

With my old Netgear router there was a Netgear manager that enabled me to change my password but I can not find the Hub Manager.  Where do I find this please? I have an Admin Password on the back of the router but where is the Hub Manager?

Having set up the internet I had a problem setting up my BT ID.  I typed in my BT email address twice as requested but I was then told that the address had been taken. Of course it had been taken - by me! And I couldn't get the email to work either. So I phoned the helpline, and now I regret ever having signed up with BT. I had to wait for 30 minutes to speak to someone and I was on the phone for a total of two hours speaking to a gentleman who was not easy to understand. I don't think he had anymore idea of how to solve my problem than I had and kept putting me on music so he could speak to his supervisor.

He told me that I should have used my old Virgin email address to create the BT ID. (What do people do who are setting up the internet fot the first time and do not have a previous email?) So I set up my BT ID and then try and log into email to confirm my new ID. But using my new ID email rejects my attempts to log in and after five attempts I am timed out and have to wait 15 minutes to try again.  At this point the service rep takes over my computer and after a considerable time he tells me that I use my Virgin address to enter My BT and the BT address to enter email.  The call is terminated and I discover that the BT email address will not allow me to sign into email so I have achieved nothing.  I then found that I can enter BT Mail straight fro My BT without signing in to BT Mail.

However now when I enter My BT the options to "Check my bill" and "Set up extras" etc. are not there. If I click on the link it just refreshes the page. So how do I check my bill and set up extras please?

I also find it very frustrating that after a short period of time I am told that my session has been terminated and I have to log in again even though the top of the page tells me that I am still logged in!

I am sorry that this is a ramble but I can not face another call to  BT help.  Any help on these points would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Judesman.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband Set Up Problems

you can enter the hub manager by entering 192.168.1.254 into your browser not google.  you then need admin password which will enable to make personal settings

if connecting with ethernet cable it is just plug and play - connect to hub and then ethernet port on pc/laptop

did you try logging into MYBT with the email address you used when signing up to BT?

wireless connections may very depending on distance from hub and also room conditions - there is no guarantee that you will get a good wifi signal all over your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

BT wants its customers to have their MyBT BTID log on the same as their btinternet.com email address. This will allow for easy acces to BTWif-Fon and BTSport.

If you want to change your logon to MyBT and your BTID to be the same as your email address and log on you need to do the following. 

To change your BTID  log onto MyBT with your present log on details. Once logged on go to to "My Profile" and scroll to "My Contact" details > Edit. Click on Edit and change the email address to your xxxx@btinternet.com email address. Scroll down and enter your present BTID password to confirm the change. Click save.

Now go back to "My Profile" and scroll down to "My Security details"  and change the password to be the same as your xxxx@btinternet.com email password. Enter your present password to confirm the change and click "Save"

Your MyBT log on will now be your xxxx@btinternet.com email address and password. This is now your BTID. 

As you have already found, when you log into MyBT you can also access your email from there. This is in my opinion a security issue but BT have decided that this is a helpful feature for its customers and there are no plans to change it.

The extras and account billing can take a few days to appear on your MyBT after setting it up.

With regards to the wireless speed, make sure you have turned off "smart set up" on the homehub. See link how to do that. It also show you how to access the hub management pages.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Judesman
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Many thanks imjolly.

I signed up over the phone but do not remember giving BT my old Virgin email. Using my old Virgin email seems to work.

My hub is next to the computer but there is this terrific variation in download speeds.

Does anyone know how I can access "Check my bill" and "Set up extras" please. I really do not want to phone BT again (ever!)

0 Ratings
Judesman
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thank you gg30340. I will have a go at this and see waht happens.  Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Your bill and extras are accessed via MYBT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Judesman
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thank  you but when I click on the link to bill and extras the page is refreshed but no details of extras and bill.  I know these were there originally before tyhe rep took over the computer so I don't understand what has happened.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

When you go to MYBT can you see your account number?

0 Ratings
Judesman
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Sorry about the delay in getting back, we have moved house and have 116 boxes tp unpack! Anyway, yes I can see my account number it is in the blue box, top right along with my old email address that I use to log in.

0 Ratings