cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnB54
Message 1 of 7

Broadband Wifi/Ethernet Powerline extender compatibility

Go to solution

I'd be very grateful for some advice regarding my home network. I currently have a BT Mini Connector kit (two units, plug-through) providing ethernet connections for my TV and PC. I want to extend the ethernet and add at least one wifi booster. I have a couple of TP-Link Powerline plugs (one ethernet, one wifi/ethernet) which appeared to be compatible (according to what I've read online), but they don't seem to want to talk to the  BT Mini Connectors. As I'm no techie, I plan to simply buy some more BT-branded connectors, but was wondering if I might encounter similar problems with different models? My mini connectors were bought in 2017 and I'm thinking of buying a pair of Flex 1000 adaptors and a WiFi Extender 750. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband Wifi/Ethernet Powerline extender compatibility

Go to solution

You cannot have two different systems running on your electric ring mains

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
JohnB54
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks. I can understand the TP Link plugs not working, but will the (newer) BT  extenders not be compatible?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

BT branded devices (e.g. BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Multi Kit) support expansion of the powerline network by adding extra devices.

The instructions for doing so are in the user manual and are very simple; namely hold down a button on the nodes you're adding for about 8 seconds followed a few seconds later by holding down the same button again for about 1 second on both the existing nodes and the node you want to add.

See https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@JohnB54  You can only extend powerline networks by adding extra 'slave' devices, you cannot connect another 'master' to the router.

JohnB54
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks. The BT Mini Connectors are both the same - no slave or master (although obviously the one connected to the router is automatically the master). The question is, can I add other BT models as slave units?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Yes. Check out the user guide which is available from the link in my last post