Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anubis1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Broadband connection frustration

Hello,

I have a problem with my broadband connection in that it keeps "scanning" for available wi-fi even though I am connected to my wi-fi.  It is really frustrating especially when I am trying to watch a tutorial or a music video etc.  I have already reset my BT Homehub twice and I do not think it is my tablet or laptop that is playing up.  Can someone help please? Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband connection frustration

Welcome to this forum.

Turn off "Smart Wireless", and select a wireless channel manually, there is a choice of 13 channels, so find one which gives you the best connection.

0 Ratings
Anubis1
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

How do I do that? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

0 Ratings
Anubis1
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Yikes!  I'm not sure if I have Home Hub 4 or 5 because they look the same on the picture.  Where would I find this information?  Would it be on the hub?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

If you are on ADSL, then it will be a home hub 4. It should be marked on it somewhere.

0 Ratings
Anubis1
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

OK thanks, I'll have a go at refreshing the wireless first before I try switching off the smart wireless....I may be back if it doesn't solve the problem.

0 Ratings
Anubis1
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Hi I'm back again.

I tried refreshing the Home Hub yesterday but it gave me no joy. Whenever I try to watch a video say on YouTube the wifi connection keeps dropping out every 5 seconds or so then takes up to 10 -15 seconds before the video comes on again albeit for only a few seconds. Why has this happened all of a sudden when I've had perfect connection before? Has my wifi been comprimised despite being password protected? Also you mentioned that I should turn off the smart switch and try to find another channel which will work faster. If I did this, what happens if the same thing occurred again?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Switching off smart wireless should stop the rescanning. Smart wireless only has access to three of the 13 available channels, so if those three are in use by another nearby wireless router, then it will keep cycling through those three.

Try manually setting the wireless channel to channel 7 or channel 13.

There are lots of things that can interfere with wireless, TV video senders are normally the worst offenders, as they can occupy two or more channels.

The only other option is to use an Ethernet connection, or broadband extenders, provided your computer has a LAN connection.

0 Ratings
Anubis1
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Broadband/wi-fi connection cutting out when watching a video

Hello,

I got in touch yesterday because I had a problem with my broadband/wi-fi connection where it keeps scanning for available wi-fi or possibly buffering, I am not sure which, every few seconds whilst watching a video/tutorial online. As you can imagine it is very frustrating and time consuming. Thinking it may be a problem with my tablet, I tried connecting with my laptop and Smartphone and the same thing happened. My broadband and wi-fi connection has been working perfectly fine before so I am curious ad to why it is suddenly not working. Has my wifi and broadband been compromised despite it being password protected? You have advised me to turn off the Smart (something) and manually search for a channel with better connection. I decided to try to refresh the connection first as it advises to do this on the help information. I've done this several times now and it is still not working properly. I am a little worried about going down the manually chsnging the channel route in case it happens again. please help

0 Ratings